APL 3910 owners, has anyone tried APL upsampler?

I placed order today for APL 3910 and Alex offered me to install his new upsampler board too. I choose to go with it but I've asked him to have it installed as switchable option.

I wonder if anyone of you heard his upsampler?

Regards
kaaos

Showing 5 responses by aplhifi

Pardales, I am sure that Mike from Hot Rod Audio Mods can give a better explanation of why he decided on using my Master Clock.

"They say that just replacing the 3910's clock with the APL clock is the biggest improvement that can be made to the 3910. Can anyone speak to this"

What this means (and Mike can confirm it) is that a Denon 3910 upgraded with fast Op Amp modules, Black Gates, Harris Diodes, Super Clock 3 and other "exotic" parts can not hold a candle to a stock Denon 3910 with JUST my Master Clock installed.

Of course, Hot Rod Audio Mods are friends to APL Hi-Fi and our products are not in any competition.

Regards,
Alex
So far I have just two people who listened to the Upsampler in A-B test with the original 44.1/16 version while playing CD. For all of those who decided to go with the Upsampler but are not interested in the Digital Input receiver, I will be able to use the second PCM port of my DAC so you can alternate between the origianl and upsampled version and hear for your self. Until now, most companies were using Analog Devices AD1895/96. This chip is the one built into the DAC modules in Audio Aero too. The AD chip has a control port. The designer has just two choices - 96/24 or 192/24. The chip I am using is the latest deveolpment in the industry and NOT used by any other company on the market today. At least not for now. It is a product of many years research and is absolutely uniquie. It can perform any type of conversion up to 211/24. I am not going to tell you why, but the sonic improvement with this chip is not only because it upsamples. I find that 88.2/24 sounds best with it. Please keep in mind that the CS4398 DAC chips as used in my DAC board, unlike most 8x oversampling DACs on the market, have non-oversamplng digital filter for PCM. Then the PCM is converted to dual bitstream and then is overampled 32, 64 or 128 (user selectable). In the case with 88.2/24 oversampled PCM you get final dual bitstream rate equal to 128 oversampled DSD inside the DAC.

Regards,
Alex
711smilin, what can I say, you are right; I am not a businessman, just an engineer who is passionate about audio.

I really wish that I can offer excellent customer service, but the work load is so HUGE and overwhelming that 5 am is a normal bedtime. I can not wait for the moment I can find (and afford) people who I can trust so they can help me out.

There are many who provide free "silent" support and help. I really appreciate that. Also, I would like to mention a fine gentleman and brilliant engineer from Bulgaria - Mr. Danail Genov who provides tremendous help with all new designs of APL Hi-Fi. He is expected to arrive to US soon and I really hope that this will change a lot of things for the future.

Thank you all for the support and understanding.

Best!

Alex
Boa2, you have 24 bit version, but yours upsamples from 44.1 to 88.2 which results in "softer" sound. Fplanner2000 has it with the new configuration which sounds much better and just expands the data word to 24 bit while keeping the sample rate the same - 44.1

Regards,
Tvad, the Upsampler configuration was shortly updated after first released. Just two cusotmers have it the "wrong" way. I personally think that even with the fisrt version, it is still a benefit and some would enjoy the sound.

I thought it is good to have a digital player that can be constantly improved instead of having to buy a new machine every couple of years. I guess this takes away the excitement from the sales deals and from loosing money...:-)

Regards,