Anything wrong with PS Audio DirectStream DACs?

I'm counting right now 19 (nineteen) PS Audio DSD DACs for sale (new and used). Strange. Some second owners also selling... The reviews are unanimously stellar.

I wonder why.
cbozdog

Showing 11 responses by aolmrd1241

"I'm counting right now 19 (nineteen) PS Audio DSD DACs for sale (new and used). Strange. Some second owners also selling..." "I wonder why."

That is strange.....

I just looked in my local newspaper [not in a world wide audio classified like audiogon] and noticed 57 new and used Corvettes for sale.

I wonder if they are lacking in some way or another? I think the reason they are for sale is because once you have owned one for awhile, you just come to see that they are cheap junk that most men would just hate to have in their garage, when in fact, they could own a Ferrari...

I just don't get it!!!

a1uc ...Make sure the DS dac has Snowmass firmware loaded into your unit...by far the best firmware yet...Then let it run in continuously for at least 750 hours of breakin time and let us know how much more it has improved .....You will be doubly shocked... 8)
Well here is a quote from designer/engineer Ted Smith about his burn in preference... from PS Audio forums...

tedsmith Chief digital guru Jan ’18

I hear the things I like about the DS and DS Jr right out of the box. Some others don’t like the sound as much out of the box.

When I had my very burned in test DS and got another new one the new one sounded covered, muffled and a little dull. I let it play continuously for a week or two and then it sounded much better. The bass firmed up, the top opened up the presentation got more balanced, etc.

audiotroy said..."We aren’t saying the PS audio dacs aren’t good, it is just a fallacy to think that an FPGA based design doesn’t go obsolete and won’t require a future hardware change to evolve into the next level."

PS Audio does plan to put the DS dac to bed in the near future for a new DS dac yet to be announced. Not the newTSS dac..... but a new DS dac 2.

cal3713
Ohh!!!!! You didn’t know that audiotroy is much more informed in the art of dac development than Ted Smith?
Audiotroy...the only koolaid being drunk around here is what you are trying to feed anyone who is short sighted enough to believe that a constant merry go round of hardware updates that give minimal increase in sound quality and ultimately suck the money right out of the pockets of the uninitiated is the only way to long term listening satisfaction...Bottom line is you are in the business of ‘selling new gear for profit’ and the use of software,as used in the DS dac...is out of your wheelhouse and you poo poo it because there is no way to line your pockets since the updates are free of charge. Stating that software is not the future in audio is living in the past and the future will eventually run you over...
audiotroy....the DS dac’s hardware is still,and always has been, a top notch design. Ted Smith is not the dummy you seem to think he is...It has been favorably compared sonically to units twice the price and has over the last five years received a tremendous amount of “over the top reviews” from some of the best rags in the industry in which a lot of reviewers have used it as their reference.

The dac’s you keep mentioning that you carry are way more expensive than the DS. So to have you make that comparison speaks volumes of the sonic greatness of the DS or you wouldn’t keep bringing it up...

And because you are clueless as to what Teds firmware updates accomplish...each successive update Ted implements in his dac...reduces jitter(and noise floor)to the point of making a great sounding dac design sound better then the previous one... Get over yourself!!!

Sheesh audiotroy..... PS Audio offers a tremendous value by way of a free upgrade path that..."without a doubt"...brings "more enjoyment" to any owner...and you consider it a "work in progress"? It’s not a work in progress....its called "value for money" and a totally innovative design in the audio arts. It may not be the best sounding dac in the world...but for money spent...it is a fantastic music making machine in every way...and thousands of people must agree with me... by the sheer virtue of opening up their wallets for purchase...

If you want to spend huge sums of money on a dac that will be,by your standard of thinking,a boat anchor in five years...by all means... go right ahead.
I too moved on from the DS dac and Dmp transport. Seems that you can’t give away PS Audio equipment any more. I sold both units for less than half retail and was happy to sell them at that price. The re-sale prices will just continue to drop. Direct buy only is going to make PSA equipment a bad investment imho...