Anyone used 240V-120V step down transformers?

Hi - I'm new to audiogon and was after some advice. Am thinking of buying a second hand quality amp but want to be able to use it in Asia/UK/Australia. I was looking at maybe a ML335/6 but the manufacturer will only change the voltage over for the Original owner (documents required apparently).

Has anyone tried to run a 110V-120V amp (and other equipment) using a stepdown transformer, and if so, with any success - I was thinking of buying a 2000 to 3000VA toroidal transformer. What brands/ models worked and which ones to avoid? Appreciate any help/tips you could provide.
browsinganch1

Showing 2 responses by browsinganch1

Wow - thanks for your input. What brand of stepdown did you use (do you have a web link?) and is it toroidal - can you hear any interference in the amp by the transformer? Also, how close to the amps are the transformers - I was thinking of positioning it at the switchbox to the house and then running a dedicated 20A 120V line to the audio room. appreicate some more feedback on this issue. Thanks.
Maich, do you know what frequency your stepdowns are putting out? I want to step from 240V/50Hz to 120V/60hz - is it possible to change the frequency as well as the voltage?