Anyone Upgrade NAD D 3020 Power Cable?

Wondering if this is a worthwhile upgrade considering cost of NAD. If you upgraded the power cord what did you get and what improvement did you hear?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
revreed

Showing 1 response by akg_ca

In brief: I would NOT bother, I heartily doubt that it will get you any meaningful improvement (if any). That amp is a fine yeoman performer at its price point strata but this proposed power cord mod is a placebo effect on your model and a sunk cost forever lost with no likely performance step-up.

in detail:

Build quality and resulting performance in audio amps has its litmus test in that its performance capabilities is a function of its build quality that is pegged only to its price-point. Budget amps don’t warrant the bespoke custom mod cost outlays for only a negligible to nil performance uptick; especially when the compared to the added cost as a function of the unit market value.

I did this power cable upgrade on a prior B system NAD C370 integrated amp.

1) First and foremost, it was professionally done by a tech with a proper template and experience to Dremel out the back plate, and solder in a quality female IEC. It is NOT something for a DIY weekend project if you want it to look proper. If its a DIY you can likely kiss off 99% of resale buyers and 100% of any dealer trade-in value.

Cost analysis: mod $$ vs. Mod Added performance quotient.

1) At $100/hr for labour plus parts and tax.....= Cost factor #1 say..... $120 minimum.

2) Now add in a budget DIY entry level power cable cost with decent entry level components (Male IEC, plug and cable ..... = Cost factor # 2,,,, say $100 minimum.

If I remember the 3020’pricing structure correctly, at an est. $220 for the mod, is it worth it for about coughing up another 45% of the 3020 cost new or 90% of the value used?

Well....maybe .... if the mod resulted in a noteworthy upgrade in performance

Was it worth it to me on a better amp? ..... my take on personal experience with a NAD power cord mod:

the C370 was a lot more product in build for power components , amp output, and audio performance ..... and also 3X the price .

There was a disputed modest uptick in the mod audio performance: my buddies were split, in that
- one said "meh?", and
- the other said "okay, Some incremental improvement I guess .... but was it worth it to you, cuz it’s not enough for me to warrant the cost or the hassles to drag it in..."

I did not recoup the cost of the mod when I sold the NAD C 370.

I would not do that mod again on any mid-fi. Instead, I would upgrade the unit performance and satisfaction by simply dumping the old amp in favour of a different higher end unit....full stop.

I did just that, even for my B system ...... well worth it.

caveat emptor.