Anyone tried the original Playstation 1 for CD?

I read the story in Six Moons about the original Playstation 1 being an excellent CD player. Has anyone actually tried doing this? Bob
128x128baranyi
Some friends found out I was interested in trying a Playstation 1 as a CD player, and bought a used SCPH-9001 for me. Apparently, they didn't know that the preferred model is SCPH-1001. Anyway, I hooked it up to my system and let it "warm up." Now on its third day, I can say that this model is pretty good. I have an Onix XCD-88 CD player which is an equivalent to the Music Hall CD-25 (version 1) for comparison. The tonal balance with the PS1 is different in that the bass is a bit more emphasized compared with the Onix player; however, the highs are a bit rolled off with the PS1. It's not so obvious that you don't hear cymbals, triangles and strings that well, there's just an ever slight roll off. I am using the stock A/V cable and IEC 320 C7 power cord. Since this particular model doesn't have RCA audio out jacks, I will have to make my own DIY breakout cable using the A/V multiport connector to improve the connection to my amplifier. For the power cord, I can either get a PS Audio Power Punch C7 power cable, Cardas TwinLink C7 power cable or a cryo-treated C7 to IEC adapter from VH Audio. I believe the cables will further improve the sound. I will also need to look into vibration/isolation tweaks. For the $20 or so spent on this PS1, it offers great sound. Would I sell off my Onix. No way, but I'll keep the PS1 for audiophile gatherings since I also got a really nice Playstation carrying bag with the unit.
I have since acquired a Playstation 1 Model SCPH-1001 (the "original" grey box PS1), and I am using it with my recently serviced Naim Nait 1 integrated amplifier. I purchased a PS Audio xStream Power Punch C7 power cord from AVOnline and connected the CD player to my Nait using a Chord Company Chrysalis RCA-DIN interconnect cable. I can say that I am no longer using my Onix XCD-88 CD player. The Playstation 1 just sounds so much better with excellent frequency extension (i.e., no rolled off frequency extremes), transparency, soundstaging, detail, and yes, PRaT. I concur with Jeff Day of Six Moons in his assessment of the Playstation 1's capabilities as a Redbook CD player. For $25, PS1 Model SCPH-1001 is a phenomenal CD player. For a few hundred dollars, this would still be a great player. I am not sure if it's a $6,000 player as I have never had one in my system.

As for Model SCPH-9001 that I previously referenced, I have given that to my five year old to play kiddie video games. I have purchased a couple more units for spare parts. I have to admit that the PS1 does look a bit strange with a substantial power cable connected to its power inlet. Now that I have the model with RCA audio jacks, I no longer need to roll my own breakout cable.

I was skeptical about the Playstation ravings, but my ears are confirming why people have taken to this little CD player bargain.
I bought one for kicks, but didn't like it. To my ears it sounded closed in and very dry (My "regular" CD player is a Sony SCD-1.) I'd probably sell it for what I paid (not much). Feel free to email with questions.
I tried the player also. It was very rolled-off in the highs and it was not transparent at all. The one thing it does quite well is image placement within a soundstage. I think my Toshiba 3990 slaughters it. I wonder whether a few mods to the analog section would open up this player? I would pay someone to do these if they have been successful. Bob