anyone bi amp a pair of ess amt1d active xo ?

neck deep in this project.
Using a rane AC22 active crossover
2 X ADCOM 5400
Integra 7.8 pre out

A/B - ing both speakers (one standard using the ess passive xo the other using the Rane xo set to 800hz) i find the mid and mid highs harsh. tweaking the xo point up to 900/1000/1100/1200 did not help much.

Any help via experience would be great!!

Thanks
boarder36
I'm curious what crossover point you settle on - I left it at 800Hz. Going in each direction has potential consequences, so I figured since ESS's active crossovers were 800Hz, I would leave well enough alone. But who knows - something better could be possible, though I would think a higher xover point would need something other than a 12" woofer.

I look forward to your results!

IBJamon
Any luck with this? I don't assume that my setup is perfect but it gets the job done... I'm curious if you found something better.

Thanks,

IBJamon
well the process has taken a u turn - i live next to a hifi shop and i should never go into it! This whole upgrade process opened my mind up to other options (or speakers) that i may be missing out on (having this set of AMT 1D's for 17 years) long story short - i purchased a set of martin logan vista's.

my experiment is over - sorry i could not supply you with any other info!!

Take care!
Oh well, that's too bad. Enjoy them! Make sure the ESSs go to a good home.

IBJamon
try doing a +- swap on one driver....probably the tweeter.
IF the crossover phases ADD at the crossover point, it may be too much. If the original crossove was such that the speaker had to be wired in or out of phase to be correct, you may simply need to swap......

Example: my maggies have a 1st order hi pass / 2nd order lo pass. The 2 drivers are wired out of phase. Good even response thru the crossover region.
IF I swapped the tweeter, it simply wouldn't be or sound right.