Anybody auditioned new Wadia 301 CDP?

Any thought on this player, and what is the price?
cserkin12d5

Showing 1 response by andypaulden

Yes, I arranged a dem of the Wadia 301 several months back at Midland Audio Exchange in the UK. I had kind of set my heart on it before I'd even heard it (mistake!). Anyway whilst there, the dealer had a ML 390s and an Advantage S1 (from Sweden). First off, I listened to the Wadia, mostly with Diane Krall installed. My first impressions were of a big fast sound, but one I couldnt relax with, no matter how many tracks I listened to. Imagine my disappointment, I didnt like the Wadia, the player I'd always aspired to. Anyway, next I asked for the ML 390s to be hooked up (to the same Bel Canto Evo 2 and Red Rose Rosebuds). Well I shouldn't have done that. I couldnt believe how much better the ML was, my overriding memory is of the immense soundstage and the space between performers, so much so that you felt you could get up and walk around amidst the performance. My problem was the Wadia was £3600, the ML £6500. Then he suggested the Advantage S1 which like the other 2 players has a built volume control. Firstly I found it far more easy to listen to than the Wadia, same detail retrieval, big soundstage but most importantly, not fatigueing. It didnt possess the walk around ability of the ML but it did cost £3000 less.