Any Problems with Conrad Johnson Premier 140?

I see a surprising number of Premier 140's available on the used market. Is this indicative of problems with this fairly recent offering from C-J? The amp sounds very interesting to me for running my Totem Mani-2's, but I don't need to court trouble. (Been down that road with ARC Classic 120's!)
jbrrp1

Showing 1 response by tomryan

Nothing like a powerful tube amp? Can you say tube glare? Design has to be done very well in order to avoid this, especially in pentode verisions. Haven't heard the 140 but I've been leary of powerful tube amps since my close experience with a large Audio Research and Mesa Baron. Actually, Mesa corrected the problem of glare by lowering gain substantially. I will stick with my SET and easy to drive speakers (but, man, I would like to have the 140 in my house for a few weeks - just to play with! Bet it would sound good with a passive "pre-amp".)

I bet there are no problems with this pc of gear. C-J is a great company and I've owned four of their products, superb customer service and pack up, and i can't imagine they'd put anything defective on the market. Or if they did (and it would be a shear unlikely accident) C-J would get the word out and fix it ASAP.