Any JBL L150A users out there?

My local shop has a pair on consignment, but in black. The owner claims this is original, but I don't recall black as an option for this speaker. Any insight???

I have the L100 right now and it's a decent speaker, but a bit harsh on the top end sometimes. I would love to pick up some L112's or even this L150A for a smoother sound with more deeper bass.
chad329

Showing 2 responses by krelladdict

Hello Chad329, Jazzcourier is exactly correct by the L150A brochure. Mine is dated 3/81. However, the Lansing Heritage site shows a 1982 full line catalog which states; The L150A is finished in oiled walnut. It is also available in the same custom finishes as the L250; Transparant Black Stain, Indian Rosewood, Macassar Ebony, and White Oak. Grille colors available are Brown, Blue, Black, Rust, Tan, and Maroon. When bought,I was 19 and they were a floor model,walnut/brown grilles. That was 1984 and I still own them,along with many others(larger)JBLs. Your L100 doesn't even compare. They will go very low but like ALOT of power!! Mid-fi amps/receivers don't do them justice (I know,been there done that starting out). They need an amp that can keep good control of the woofers. At one point I had upgraded the x-overs with wonder caps and resistors,new 5-way binding posts and also made them bi-ampable.In my experience they performed very well with my Aragon 4004 and my Krell KSA100mkII,KSA250. Hope all the info helps. Please e-mail me if you have any questions,I will gladly help. Sincerely,Dave Geiss. Poltergeiss@comcast.net.
Detredwings, the silver 044 tweeter is NOT titanium. Even the black/gold domed 044-1 that ONLY came in the L250 was not either. The 044 is a phenolic dome with a vapor deposited aluminum coating. The later Ti series; 18ti,120ti,240ti and 250ti had a 044ti driver which still had an aluminum housing (like the 044 but different), and a titanium diaphragm. The later L"T" series; L20T,L60T,L80T,L100T, had the 035ti plastic faced driver which later changed to 035tia.