Any comments on Symposium Svelte Shelf?

Hi everyone,
My girlfriend just bought me a symposium svelte shelf (don't ask why, I don't know). I took a look in previous threads on Agon and I only could find 1 or 2 msgs stating that the svelte shelf was worse than having no platform at all... I'm hesitant to open it (still sealed).

Does anyone have comments or experience with this shelf. I use a Sim Audio Eclipse CD player with some YBA amplification...

What should I expect when using the Svelte shelf under my CD? Right now I'm using a custom made MDF rack. The cd player sit on a 2 inch thick sycamore wood slab (one piece, 20X20).

Thanks for the inputs...
lgregoir

Showing 1 response by caterham1700

Audiotweak,

Why would the makers of the Systrum support recommend the use of a damping material for the vertical leg members if not to damp?
I'm in agreement in the logic of rapidly spreading excess resonant energies over a broad spectrum as well as the reality of ultimate failure when attempting to completely "isolate" from internal and externally sourced vibrations but am puzzled as to where the leg filling fits in the concepts.
Using the principles as I would understand them, would it not make more sense to use vertical members with varying wall thickness or solid members of varying material, shape or density to efficiently transfer those energies to the substrate?
From my vantagepoint, it appears that the upper component support spikes are collectors and filters of component generated and airbourne vibrations.
The horizontal framework appears to a broadband frequency modifier and energy transfer conduit with the vertical legs serving to sink,damp and dissipate these energies both from the component as well as to damp and block those vibrations sourced from the floor.
Please correct me if I am misunderstanding what's going on here.Thank you.

Best,
Ken Lyon
GreaterRanges/Neuance