Anti-skate adjustment off Thorens TD 146 with Schopper wand

I just replaced a Nagaoka MP-110 cartridge (with MP-200 stylus) with Nagaoka JT-80BK on my Thorens TD 146 with Schopper wand (TP 11 tonearm).  No real issues with MP-110, just has some hours on it.

I mounted the JT-80 and all adjustment were made and correct (i think).  However, I can't get the tracking force adjusted.  With ZERO tracking force (anti-skate weight removed: the small weights on nylon line) there is still too much anti-skate force.  Tonarm does not track towards spindle on smooth vinyl (black side of one sided record).  When I used a test record, the tonearm would not advance (skipping back playing the same thing over and over).  

I can't seen to solve this problem.  There we no issues with the table with MP-110.  Using Hi-Fi News Analogue Test LP, the MP-110 did fine.

Sorry, but I may not be using the correct vocabulary.  

Can you help me diagnose issue?  Or do I need to abandon JT-80 (ouch, $500)?

Thanks for listening.

Tim

waxer

Showing 1 response by spatialking

Either the table is not level or your anti-skate adjustment has failed.  I'm not sure I understand - does the problem vanish If you switch back to the MP-110?  If it works with the MP-10 and not with the JT-80, then it seems your tonearms set up is not right.  If you go back to the MP-10 and it still doesn't work, then the anti-skate had failed.  It can be fixed, there are folks out there who can fix tonearms and such.   Do check table level, it does make a big difference.