Analog Upgrade Suggestions Welcome

I am thinking of making several upgrades to my current analog rig.

Current system: click here

First, I am thinking of upgrading my VPI HW19 MKIII to the MKIV. I would like those with first hand experience to tell me if the upgrade is worth the money, and what I can expect to hear in improvement. I am currently using the SDS and SAMA modifications.

Second, I am thinking of upgrading my cartridge. My Sumiko Talisman Alchemist IIb is almost 15 years old and is ready for retirement. Some A'goNers have recommended the Shelter 501. I didn't want to spend more than $1000 for a cartidge as the majority of my listening is still redbook CD. I am open to other suggestions. I want the best cartridge for the money. Also, I am leary of buying such a fragile item used. I have heard others on A'goN say they'd never buy a used cartridge. Please share any experiences out there; good or bad.

My current cartridge has an output of 2.0mV which I assume means high output. Will I need a step-up transformer for a low output cartridge? Is the Shelter 501 at 0.4 mV considered low output? My Classe Six preamp has a phono section. The preamp comes with resistors that the user can change out to match the volume control knob position to the level of line components. I assume I'd need to change the resistor I'm using with my current cartridge. Otherwise I'd have to turn the knob way up to get enough gain with a cartridge with an output that's 1/5 that of my current cartridge. Is that correct?

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

Cheers!

Mark
mstram
And I'm trying to "enjoy the music", but your trite little closing (given the offensive content of your posts) is ruining it for me every time I see it now.

Me two (or, is that umpteen?).
Raoul, why don't you contribute your knowledge in the Vinyl Asylum? It's *different* there...

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/vinyl/

I'm sure your style will be well taken...

Regards and enjoy the music.

Doug, I agree that analog equipment has improved, however, the issues created by too low a resonant frequency do not go away with modern equipment. The issues presented in the article deal entirely with the tonearm, cartridge, and record. As the article states, Wow and flutter, distortion, mistracking, and rumble can be caused entirely as the result of too low a resonant frequency.

I have read some other posts that mention a lower resonant frequency enhances bass response, but this could just be the result of bass imtermodulation, as mentioned in the article.

As far as your experience with changing counterweights, I believe that this type of activity will change resonant frequency less than a hertz, which I do not view as a comprehensive test.

So, I believe that you hear a difference with higher resonant frequency combinations, but perhaps it is the absence of bass intermodulation that you are hearing! I have an open mind on the subject. At any rate, thanks for sharing your experience. I admire the energy and enthusiasm you have for analog.
People, who don't have any equalizer in their system, are born deaf.

Raul,your room is equalizer.

Don't enjoy the music !!