AMPS: PM2000 or Pass X5 or ?

I am assembling what I consider to be my 'last' audio system for a looong time, and I have a bit of a dilemma on the amplifier.

My existing system has a Pass Aleph 3, along with EAD transport and DAC, and Sonic Frontiers preamp, to Hales Concept 3 speakers. My new system is a HT/music system that has an EAD TVP, EAD TM Signature, and an EAD PM1000. (I'm still waiting on delivery of the TM Sig)

Unfortunately, I think I am not satisifed with the performance of the PM1000, and am thinking about moving up to a 'better' amp for this system. The problem is that I am spoiled by the Aleph 3! The PM1000 just isn't as smooth or as clean as the Aleph 3, and I want my 2-channel listening to be better than it is right now. The PM1000 also suffers from an audible hisssss when turned on (not the hummm that comes from power interference).

So, my question is can anyone give me a fair review of the PM2000 compared to the Pass X5, or, compared to an X150 and X3 combo?

In this price range, what other amps would you suggest that are good HT amps, but more importantly, excellent 2-channel amps? I'm in a place where there is no high end audio/HT stores, so I need to do some elimination of options before I go out to try out some amps in the nearest city (Philadelphia, 4 hours away).

One thought that I had was to buy a second Aleph 3, and an Aleph 5, and run the whole system off Alephs. However, I am concerned that the Alephs are not dynamic enough for HT listening.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
mjm6

Showing 1 response by sqjudge

I have heard the X series and was blown away. My friend who had it said it was better than the Aleph. I take this guy's opinion seriously! If you like Pass stuff (and I do) stick with it in the HT setup also. If it plays music to your liking then it will do HT just fine and the only place where more power is required for HT is in the sub. Chris