amps for Merlin VSM-MXE

sorry i posted this by mistake in the speakers thread so reposting here...taking delivery of new MXE speakers soon and wondered what would be peoples choice of amp. I heard the new speakers work also well with SS, although my choice has always been tubes.

Given the rise of low cost/high quality components in recent years can someone provide me with a solution for $6k?

I have had the berning and it worked well...just looking for options!
enjoy_the_music
With the benign load requirements of the VSM, an OTL amp is probably the best option overall. Joule, Atmas-phere, Berning, Transcendent.

So far as transformer coupled tube amps go, there have been numerous ones that would probably work quite well with this speaker. Bobby showed the CAT a few years back at one of the shows. Greater dynamics is my understanding but it is hard to imagine too much out there that is going to beat the Joule, Atmas, or Berning.

You should hear the VSM/Berning with David Berning's tube BAM, it adds a special flavor to this combo, sweeter and much better harmonic resolution, the music is a bit closer to being real. You couldn't want for too much more. I can't give a SS recommendation because I haven't heard one other than the SIM with the VSM and while sounding good it didn't provide the magic. I've heard a few other SS amps that were totally forgettable with the Merlins.
I would be really excited to listen to these speakers with a pair of Belles Reference 150A set up as mono blocks. I have the Belles and am really pleased with it. The reveiws state that as mono blocks they are even nicer. The cost would be right at 6K.
As Slipknot mentioned, I'm having good luck w/Atma-Spheres, & I've previously happily owned the Berning. The Joules sound great too, but were out of my price range. A used pair of MA1s for around $6k would be my first choice. If you could find a pair of Joule 100s near that price it would be the other top choice.
If push-pull amps are your preference, Manleys are a good choice.
The Cary amps I've heard aren't transparent enough by comparison. Merlins will get the most out of those amps, but if you are choosing an amp, it wouldn't be your best bet unless you are trying to compensate for overly bright source or preamp(generally not a good strategy). Cheers,
Spencer