Amp Upgrade time, $6000 budget, used or new.

Amp upgrade time!!! What’s the most badass amp I can get for $6000 New or used. 
I’m currently bi amping my Martin Logan’s with an old mc7106. I want to move up. I’m not glued to biamping this time around, I just do it now because my gear is my gear, ya know? 

I would like fully balanced. 
So please help me pick my next big boy amp. 
Treated room. Speaker:
martin Logan esl x , rel t7i pair 
Preamp:
 t+a P3000hv
dac / phono
t+a DAC 8 DSD / nova phenomena 2+
streamer, tuner, Tt
metrum Ambre , marantz 20b, marantz tt15s1 
ic and power
synergistic. 

andrewkelley

Showing 4 responses by georgehifi

andrewkelley OP
architikdeth, I think I’m gonna skip on the Magtech. I have no doubt it can drive the snot out of my Martin Logan’s... and I bet it can play loud as all get out, but I’m not going for crazy loud, and I don’t want to blow my speakers.

arctikdeth
not just playing loud!
Sounds amazing, and you need the power and headroom for music.
Plus the warranty is top.
Don’t say you weren’t warned down the road mate.
I think we all knew that answer was coming asap.
soix
Hey @arctikdeth, I think we got it. The horse is dead already. You had me at...
do I own one, no.
Now please go take your meds.

This is better than a soap opera

Cheers George

Be wary of the Magtech with ML’s, they may be alright with Sanders own ESL’s they have a different impedance loading to the Martin Logan ESL.
As this owner found, that had ML Summits, the fuses kept blowing on the Magtech, even with a different Magtech. Then on the Martin Logan forums some are using them without trouble. 🤷‍♂️

https://forum.audiogon.com/posts/1873696

Cheers George
No tubes for this kind of impedance curve, unless they have a 2ohm speaker tap, common complaint with tubes is there are no extended highs, this is the reason why, a downward sliding impedance to 1ohm from 3khz.

Then there may not be enough wattage with a 2ohm tap.
And the only tube amp I know of with 2ohm speaker taps, is the Roger Mojeski's (rip) RM200's 
This is a similar load for the Electromotion ESLx
https://www.stereophile.com/images/912Montisfig1.jpg

Cheers George