Amp for Harbeth P3ESR

I am looking for an amp synergy with Harbeths.

With one qualification. I was looking for an amp with a high-pass filter of some kind with use of a sub-woofer as to open the mid-range of the harbeth's a little and to extend the bass and improve impact.
Most of the amps suggested for the Harbeth sound are very minimalistic. (certainly the lfd which is my number one choice). How could I use a subwoofer in such a setup as described to open the midrange?

The one option I have found is the Naim Uniti but alas it is out of my price range and they hardly ever come up used on here.

Sam
samlucas091

Showing 8 responses by samlucas091

I think I am going with a virtue amp for an interim amp. Any objections? I will be ordering one tommorrow I think.
Well, having heard the phenomenon a few times before with monitor audio, phase audio, and (especially a dramatic difference with) B&W. Taking the bass load off the mid-range cone on small bookshelf speakers opens the mid-range and adds sound-stage and airiness in there. And I get the bonus of plenty punchy, textured, and tuneful bass. :)

I hear Naim gear is a good match for Harbeth gear. I certainly like PRaT and dynamics as well as musical yet uncolored sound. But I need a chance to hear Naim gear hooked up to my Harbeth P3s.

I was looking for other brands that have synergy with Harbeth and have an easy way to setup a high-pass and sub-woofer.
Unless there is something I am not understanding about sub-woofer set up?

Thanks,
Sam

PS. I am not driving my Harbeth P3ESRs with anything right now. They are fresh from the dealership in South Florida.
Dobieguy:
So you are saying go strait for the lfd? That was my other choice. Or a Creek?

Banyon100:
I need sources too, all I have is an Audio Mirror D-1 and a Yamaha disk changer as a transport. I really would like a tuner. The uniti seems perfect if not a gamble with whether I enjoy the naim sound or not. If I were to go naim I would most likely need to get a naim source for synergy anyways.
I will try to demo as many amps as I can before I buy. I have given myself till next spring to listen and make decisions. It will be a shame letting these speakers just sit for a time, though I have some Beyer T1s to keep me company ;).

My budget is right now $900 but will grow as I collect more from my summer job. I am shooting for a little under $1500 for the amp and will worry about my source after that. Though I am interested in the Uniti and then adding a subwoofer later. Maybe a castle classic sub to keep it british?

I am just going to enjoy the journey while I can. I am also considering selling my headphone setup to free up funds, the whole point of this foray into speakers is to get a better alternative to headphones. Though they may have to stay. I can't say much now as I have not heard the Harbeths with more than a single amp but I do know enough to say they have a sort of magic that I was looking for.

The Harbeth forum heavily favors the british sound and british amps to power the harbeths. Maybe this is what I am looking for? As I certainly enjoy the Harbeth sound signature (which is decidedly British).
My Hi-fi guru - dertubemaster says I can't go wrong with a naim 5i -> P3ESR combo. (he also lists a source I can't recall off the top of my head). Maybe the XS is the solution (can I get one used for $1500 BY NEXT SPRING)?

If I am going to use a subwoofer I really do want the highpass filter as I have heard real differences from using one.

I have beautiful speakers and I guess I will just have to sit on them.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Sam
The Wadia was a horrible parring with the Harbeths. I demoed them at my local hi-fi shop.

Thanks,
Sam

I have narrowed things down some to:

Naim XS or LFD Zero Mk III

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Sam
I just purchased a Creek Destiny. I hope it sounds phenomenal.
Class A stereophile! (though I am a skeptic about stereophile, it is still worth taking note)

Thanks everyone,
Sam-fi

It has pre-out and power-in and hope to use a sub woofer for both High and Low pass.
Gene, don't you need a disclaimer? I will try out the LFD and perhaps update my system in a year or two.
The LFD is quoted on the Harbeth website as not having enough bass weight for the P3ESR. I personally think my amp the Creek Destiny is a good match.