Albums you do not get...a plea for help and understanding

So like most of you (I bet), I listen to tons of music.  But there are just some albums I never learned to appreciate.  I hope this thread can serve as a teaching tool.  I did not get Mingus at first but now he is one of my favorites.

Perhaps ending each post with, "What am I missing?" would be a good idea.

I will start with Graceland by Paul Simon.  Most of my friends call me crazy (still after all these years...OUCH that was bad) but I never desire to listen to this record.  I get the African influence and rhythm but it just does not impress me.  Alternatively when Peter Gabriel did the African influence thing I found it stunningly good. Paul Simon as a musician impresses me in his other works.  What am I missing?

bancsee

Showing 6 responses by cd318

Miles Davis, outside of his Kind of Blue collaboration for which he seems to get most of the credit, when it should be Bill Evans, does nothing for me.

Just one decent track, Springsville, a Gil Evans collaboration off Miles Ahead and that’s it.

As for the notorious Graceland, Paul Simon has consistently been one of the best songwriters in the world for decades, and Graceland was a brilliant return to form back in 1986, no matter the political points scoring nonsense that followed it’s release.

As good as Graceland was his 1990 Rhythm of the Saints might even be a better album, whilst the unjustly maligned Songs from the Capeman (1997) most definitely is.

I’d say it was the standout album of the 1990s.

@edcyn 

"There are stretches of Dylan lyrics that course through my brain almost daily."

Me too.

At one point I could even quote whole verses from his songs.

I even started calling one of my friends the Commander in Chief because of this Dylan influence.

I didn't have too much of a problem with his voice having also been a fan of those other great wordsmiths, messrs Springsteen and Costello.

Their lyrics are that good.

Morrissey is another one whose lyrics come to mind on an almost daily basis.

@llg98ljk

I think Yoko almost goes without saying.

She’s what you might call an acquired taste or just frankly unlistenable.

The real conundrum might be when you find yourself unable to listen to singers that millions of people apparently love.

A few obvious ones for me would be Aretha Franklin (hysterionics), Billie Holiday (screech) and Adele (pain).

Having said all that, is there anything in the history of recorded sound as disturbing as Diamanda Galas’ Schrei X?

Seriously, it’s a record that should come with a health warning.

On this occasion I’d advise you to simply take my word for it.

Don’t risk anything more than a quick listen.

Not if you value your sanity.

I didn’t believe in channeling previously, but I do now.

Zappa?

Crikey, there's a big one right there!

There's so much to like about Frank, the attitude, the intelligence, the honesty, but what about the music?

Especially for those of us who love harmony, melody and catchy tunes?

A bit like Beefheart, for me Zappa remains a novelty listen.

Clever but not compelling.

Springsteen appreciation might require a dollop of some Catholic guilt or similar, and a small dose of self pity.

Born to Run and Darkness on the Edge of Town are good places to start as Bruce finally found his own voice after sometimes brilliantly aping Dylan previously.

@stevewharton 

Great post!  I'll never got tired of the following lines -

Well, John the Baptist, after torturing a thief
Looks up at his hero, the commander-in-chief
Saying, “Tell me, great hero, but please make it brief
Is there a hole for me to get sick in?”

Some called it blasphemy, I call it clever.

As for Kind of Blue, I think it has to be listened on vinyl as I can't remember any good digital versions, and I've heard a few. 
All of them sounded too thin.

I remember a holiday in Amsterdam where they seemed to be playing the Doors everywhere we went.

It was damn near perfect to wake up and stick your head out of the window and hear the Doors first thing in the morning.

Another time I went it was Bob Marley everywhere.

Great tastes these Amsterdamers seemed to have!

You can’t please everyone, but there can’t be many who’d object to either the Doors or Marley, can there?

As for famous albums that I couldn’t get into, it pains me to say that I haven’t played John Coltrane’s A Love Supreme for years and years.

I love Coltrane but that one does very little for me.