After the thrill is gone

I think we all understand there is no “perfect” speaker. Strengths, weaknesses, compromises all driven by the designer’s objectives and decisions. 

Whenever we make a new (to us) speaker purchase there is a honeymoon period with the perfect-to-us speaker. But as time wears on, we either become accustomed to the faults and don’t really hear or hear past them, or become amplified and perhaps more annoying or create minor buyers remorse or wanderlust.

I am guessing the latter would be more prevalent when transitioning to a very different design topology, eg cones vs horns vs planars etc.

While I’ve experimented with horns, single drivers, subwoofer augmentation …  I’ve always returned to full range dynamic multi-driver designs. About to do so with planars but on a scale I’ve not done before, and heading toward end game system in retirement.
So I just wonder what your experiences have been once the initial thrill is gone? (Especially if you moved from boxes to planars)

inscrutable

@inscrutable

I’ve been thinking 1.7i, but debating with myself about biting the bullet “buy once, cry once” and get the 3.7i. Will be listening to both in a few weeks, and if the immediacy/dynamics aren’t as disappointing as they have been for some/others, will pick one and move on

i just went from 1.7i to 3.7i (still have both sets, i cannot get myself to part with the 1.7i's...)

both are truly superb, i think which is better is quite room dependent - at the price of the 1.7i it is an unfathomable value for the enjoyment and quality of music it delivers, and as you know, both require specific placement for them to shine

with either, i feel nothing is lacking in the ’immediacy/dynamics’ department... but then again i am fortunate to have excellent supporting equipment/amplification

happy to talk further with you via pm if you’d like, i can share a lot of observations and pointers

Post removed 

I’m still really happy with my system, but now I have to go listen to the Eagles… thanks for that!

I've had planars  for over 25 years.  First, Apogee Duetta IIs and now Magneplanar 1.7is.  I can't tell you what happens when the thrill is gone because it's never left. 😁 

@joey_v 

Agree 100% - I have tried many different high end speakers and have found my holy grail with the Magico A5's paired with a B&W DB3 surrounded by tubes.