Aesthetix Calypso or Pass Labs Preamp

I want to insert a 2 channel preamp in my multi channel system. I have narrowed down the list to Aesthetix Calypso (Signature?) and Pass Labs XP-10 (XP-20?). I was planning to keep this under $3,500 used which would disqualify the XP-20 and the signature, but if reports based on first hand usage convince me these more expensive units will trounce their cheaper brethren I may reconsider. My two channel source is a perfectwave DAC, and my poweramps are Jungson Class A JA-200 (not very well know, best compared with Pass Labs class A series).

Has anyone directly compared Pass and the Calypso?
Has anyone compared the XP-10 and XP-20?
Has anyone compared the Calypso and Calypso signature?

Which of the four options offers the best performance for the money?

I read all existing posts on the subject, so new insight is welcome.
edorr

Showing 1 response by harri009

So I just finished a multi day direct A/B of the Pass XP10 and a Aesthetix Calypso. The sessions were in my home with the only changes being the pre amps, including level matching. The pass has more detail but ultimately I chose to stay with the Calypso because it sounded more realistic and had more depth to the sound stage. It was kinda like listening to a live band with a slight vail over the band. When switching to the xp10 the vail was lifted but suddenly the band disappeared and I was left with a couple speakers. The pass sounds good but just doesn't convey the depth and realism of the calypso. I plan to buy the XP20 in the next year or so. I figure the 20 may give me the added warmth and depth of the calypso while maintaining the detail of the xp10.

Associated gear:
Magnepan 3.7's on myestands
Esoteric SA10 SACD player
Pass Labs XA100.5 amps