Advice sought on Lowthers.

For those of you that don't know Lowthers are single driver high sensitivity dynamic speakers. Anyone used them, owned them, heard them before?? what did you think? Do they stack up? Fo rthose of you who own them what amp do you use? Thanks for your help.
senorkenessey

I have to tell you, I'v never been a fan of horn speakers. But i think i heard a great design. I heard these speakers called RL Acoustiques at the Stereophile show. They had a built in Horn in the cabinet, which acted as a sub. Then they used this AER driver, which was a full range driver. There was no tweeter. There was no crossover in this speaker, similar to the Reference 3A speakers. All the mids and highs came out of the Lowther driver. No sound came out of the horn. The horn just acted as a sub. Let me tell you, I couldn't believe how good these speakers sounded. That AER midbase was so articulate and sweet sounding. They were being played on the Tenor OTL Tube Amps, which cost 15,000 dollars and were 15 watts. These Tenor 15 watt OTL Amps, could play so loud. I couldn't believe how loud they could play and how smooth and sweet they were, even at loud levels. The CD Player was the Audio Aero Capitole 24 bit CD Player. Whats interesting, I heard the same setup, except the speakers in the Verity Parsifal room. But let me tell you, the RL Acoustique sound so much better then the Verity Parsifal speakers. The RL Acoustic just had a full bodied sound, with a very articulate midbase and the bass was great. I think using the horn as a sub and having all the mids and highs come out of the Lowther or AER driver is a great speaker design. Here's a pic of the RL Acoustique speakers i heard. http://shows.soundstagelive.com/shows/avtour2001/mtl_stand_rl.shtml
Senorkenessey, the moth stuff *is* nice-looking - personally, i really like the nite-lite! ;~) but, the antique sound labs stuff also looks pretty cool, & is reasonably-priced...

http://www.divertech.com/antiquesl.html

doug s.

I have ownerd Lowther's before.
Couple things to be aware of:
Bass is not good unless you have a seperate woofer box.[not a sub.They are not fast enough to integrate well with the lowthers.
Real nasty bump at about 2k that you can't get rid of.
Really long break in time in which they sound terrible[some claim up to a year!!]
Interestingly enough,the Moth Cicadea speakers claim to have cured the 2k bump and that might be worth exploring.
Or for the DIY thing,I prefer the Fostex FE sries drivers
although they are not as efficient as Lowthers,they are smoother.
I heard them with Welborne Labs at VSAC, and wasn't really too impressed. I use Focal 165W speakers (custom enclosure)/Tube Research Labs 100 Watt push-pull triode, for comparison sake. There are those that like them, so I guess it is just a matter of preference.