advice needed on 1st real stereo system

Hi everyone,

I am a 1st time "real" stereo buyer and would really appreciate some advice from a community of experts. I am looking for a system for my living room (about 20x20), for a wide range of music (jazz, classical, rock) and tv/movies etc.

1. I am looking at the Peachtree Decco/Nova amps. I get that the Nova has more power, but will the Decco suffice at 65 w per channel? I will not be blasting music at full volume, but does wattage also improve sound at low/moderate levels?

2. I am looking at a pair of Totem Rainmaker speakers, any thoughts on these or others?

3. Do expensive speaker cables make a difference?

Thanks so much in advance for your advice!
newguy1
make sure you love your speakers first and that they will work in your room second and that the amplifier will work with them third

I like the idea of an easy to drive speaker (like Zu or Audio Note) so you can save on amplifier cost in the long run

I recommend finding some lesser costing cables that still sound good, the expensive cable obsession is one of diminishing returns
My first good stereo was a KLH Model 20...I only mention this because it makes me happy to think about it. Note that a tubed integrated can be had relatively cheaply and they're fun to look at (Jolida, Primaluna), and great sounding cables can be found used for a huge discount over new stuff and are often in great shape. I bet that new hybrid Rogue integrated amp (tubes and a class D) sounds great and it seems inexpensive.
thanks everyone for the insights - very helpful for a 1st timer.

I am looking to spend <3k. I am planning to use as a 2 channel to cover all my audio needs, including digital music on my mac, TV, and perhaps a record player later on. Hopefully an "all things to all people" kind of system. Hence the peachtree was recommended.

I was pretty impressed w/ the totem rainmakers without subwoof. However, my guess is that $300 cables aren't that important.

The biggest question for me is how much better sound do i get from Decco (65 watts / channel) vs. Nova (125 watts/channel). Unfortunately could not demo the Decco at the store...

Any thoughts?

Thanks again for all the help.
Post removed 
I agree with Philiojet. If you play rock/jazz/classical like I do and you have the right room for it Audio Note speakers-- AN-E's or J's play all types of music. The E-s like tube amps. 8-20 watts is all you need. Just be sure to hear them first. Seems like folks either love em or don't.