Advice and recommendations needed for a turntable rig...

So I have decided to add a source (analog) in one audio system I have. I will be getting a turntable, cartridge and phono preamp. Currently DO NOT have turntable in my audio system (although some 40 years I had a Thorens TD 320 (modest belt drive TT). I like the idea of a mass loading TT and interested in a heavy TT. Looking for advice from those who have used any TT set up and why. Looking in the modest budget of $3500 price range for all components. Currently looking at a Pro-ject x8 Evolution TT with a Sumiko Blue Point #3 MC cartridge and the Pro-Ject Phono Box Ds2 phonostage (a Michael Fremer positive review).

I listen to Jazz, Blues and instrument music mostly...

128x1282psyop

Given the inheritance, and memories of your friend, you will ’stick with it’ as I wondered about earlier.

The 1200 ....Technics are highly respected, come with removable headshell, good luck figuring out their many variations/naming

What I personally do not like is their appearance. I started a conversation about Wood Surrounds for these, which changes the appearance enough for me to consider one.

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/wood-surround-for-audio-technica-at120-technics-1200-and-technics-1210?highlight=technics%2Bwood

A hint of the AR look (especially if you got a black one, if you do not restore the AR. I would keep the AR, which allows a future restoration.

Logo app a 256

•  

Preview

There’s a used Luxman PD-151 for sale on US AM

for approx. $2,300.  I’ve had one for 2 years and couldn’t be happier 

Then get yourself a trans impedence phono stage and you got a killer combo

Those tables in the second generation are $5600 new

Table speed is kept byProportional-Integral-Derivative (PID) 

Really  great table and the trans impedence phono stage 

will keep you from having to fiddle with  cartridge loading

Also a good Technics SL 1200 would be a good choice for a table with excellent speed control   Once you have this set up the you can budget some funds for vibration control

Good luck

Willy -T

Logo app a 256

•  

Preview

There’s a used Luxman PD-151 for sale on US Audio Mart 

for approx. $2,300.  I’ve had one for 2 years and couldn’t be happier 

Then get yourself a trans impedence phono stage and you got a killer combo

Those tables in the second generation are $5600 new

Table speed is kept byProportional-Integral-Derivative (PID) 

Really  great table and the trans impedence phono stage 

will keep you from having to fiddle with  cartridge loading

Also a good Technics SL 1200 would be a good choice for a table with excellent speed control   Once you have this set up the you can budget some funds for vibration control

Good luck

Willy -T

Vintage Technics SP15

Plinth for it

cutout for terrific Vintage Micro-Seiki Arm 505, 

here's one, silver wire, from Vlad, whom I bought my JVC Plinth and TT81 from,. I unhesitantly recommend him

That would make a terrific TT.

Usually there are SP-10's and SP-15's, complete in Technics bases, have a look if tempted by Vintage Technics spinners.