Add a DAC or buy a new CD player?

I currently have a Rotel 855 and am looking to upgrade. I plan to spend less than $1500. Am I better off adding a DAC or buying a new one-box player?
kadlec
If the money is burning a hole in your pocket you can get the Sony SACD 777 for about $1600, but you probably already know this. You can get some $$ for your Rotel and save on digital cable. I own it and it is good. But if the curiosity of SACD has not affected you (software selection sucks)save your money. Ric's new EVS DAC is about $800 and will likely be the one to beat, but there is a waiting list. There is no need to spend more. Had the MSB ($300!) and i was extremely pleased with it. Don't buy that highly modified MSB for over $1200! If I was to do it over I would still have my basic MSB and then get the DAC from Ric when it is available.
Keep things simple...since you already are familiar with Rotel find a new or used Rotel RCD 991....it is very overlooked player! Try and invest the majority of your budget towards your source....most people like me find this out the hard way. The 991 is way better than the similarily priced Adcom and is on par with the Arcam 9 and Cal players (at a much cheaper price). No pre-amp = less dynamics/less low level resolution in my experience, but it is a matter of taste, budget, and opinion. Good luck!
E-mail me, and I will provide you with information that will get you a digital front end that will out perform anything under $5000.00...for less than $1500.00...really!