Accurate vs Musical

What is the basis for buying an "accurate" speaker over a "musical" one? I am very familiar with most audiophile jargon but this is one that confuses me. Musical to me means that the speakers convey the "air" or/and overtone of instruments.

"Accurate" on the other hand is what, the accuracy of a single note? If accurate does not convey the space of an instrument, how can it be defined as accurate? I can understand why an "accurate" speaker can be used in a recording studio or as a studio monitor but for casual listening/auditioning?

Thiel is an accurate speaker but Magnepan is more musical so which would truly be more faithful to the original source? Someone please clear this up for me. Thanks.
ebonyvette
I'm with Aball, why split hairs over tech jargon.
How do the speakers sound?
I recall hearing B&W's in a listening room yrs ago, my wife wanted them, so I told the guy to box em up.
I mean they sounded OK, but next to my Seas Thor's they sound like crap.
Was the 602's.
If a speaker has a certain fatigue level I avoid them, regardless of the band name, made famous by hype.
I am not impressed with brand name.
All I want to know is how do they sound to my ears.
Which is why I took a chance on the Seas' kit and WON!
IOW I love em
:-)
Paul
I agree with Baroque in principle, though I would not describe the experience as "perfect".

I have heard some professional monitor speakers that were tonally accurate and would seem to be very good for mastering recordings, as the speakers were very balanced.

However, they were boring dynamically. They were speakers that I could respect but never love. In fact, my Gallo Ref. 3's were that way.

ALL stereo systems introduce colorations. The snobbish sounding "accurate" detail-monsters may excel at retrieval of minutae, while being inaccurate in other parameters.

Too many audioheads confuse detail with musicality, feeling that anything left out is experience missed. True excellence comes from balance, i.e. not leaving anything crucial to the message out while still retaining coherence, tonal saturation, and emotional communication.

Detail is not music. Detail is solely an objective checkmark on the mental checklist. It is not the same as semiconscious immersion and the wash of sonic waves that can disable analytical thought.

Listeners that cannot differentiate between these elements have not found "it".

Now, it could be argued that my thoughts are not centrally related to the question of the thread, but I think these elements lie at the center of this old question of audiophilia.
Baroque, how do you know that the speakers reproduced the recording perfectly? And if they hadn't reproduced them perfectly, would you have preferred the recording? I am confused!
Baroque lover wrote:

"I without a doubt believe there is a difference. I have heard speakers that reproduce a recording perfectly but sounded sterile doing it. Musical to me is one that can reproduce these nuances with fluidity and emotion.

I still believe speaker building is one part science and one part art."

If you have Seas Thor's then you like Accurate speakers Baroque lover. You have one of the most accurate systems for the money spent in its price class. There is nothing romantic about magnesium seas drivers except their low distortion and that systems accurate impulse and dynamic capabilites.

Accurate does not equal bright! Accurate is not sterile, Accurate is everything the music is. As an owner of ATC Anniversary 50's Accurate is simply beautiful.
Loudspeakers are reproducers, not "creators". At very best, they can be "accurate". The more accurate they are, the more they will produce that "air" you refer to - if it indeed exists on the recording.

Calling a loudspeaker MUSICAL is not much different than it it would be to call a Laser Printer "ARTISTIC".
"Oh yes, don't you just love how that Dell creates space around the black areas...The background is SOOOO White! The Hewlett Packards are just too resolving for me. Their lines look so etched." HUH????

IMO when someone calls any piece of audio equipment musical it means:
1. They just like how it sounds, and/or
2. Their reasoning has probably been impaired by reading too much gobbledygook in Stereophile and 6Moons.