Acapella Triolon Excalibur speakers at RMAF 2007

Does anyone else care to comment on the sound of the Acapella Triolon Excalibur $170,500.00 per pair speakers? This is Brian Ackerman's, of Aaudio Imports full $600K, personal reference system. I have heard the Acapella Triolon Excalibur's driven by Audionet AMP's in Shanghai and felt that they were underachievers and a complete disappointment for their asking price. It sounds like Gawdbless was equally disappointed with them, especially considering their asking price but I would like to hear from others who have had a chance to hear them at the Rocky Mountain AudioFest show to get their impression and to see if they would drop $600K for the Aaudio Imports/Brian Ackerman "reference" system yet alone $170.5K for the Acapella Triolon Excalibur speakers. I await the opinion of those of you at the show who have heard this "Mega" DOLLAR system to see if it does indeed deliver the $600K goods or if it's more about "Pride of Ownership" than substance. Let us know your thoughts show goers. At least one show reporter has substantiated my original listening impressions. What did the rest of you guys hear from the Acapella Triolon Excalibur speakers and the sound of the complete Brian Ackerman/Aaudio Imports reference system at RMAF 2007????
carlos269

Showing 3 responses by baranyi

I am Teajay's friend who heard the Acapella speakers. I would like to first say that I have never heard these speakers prior to this weekend. My preferences in music are classical and jazz in that order.

I thought both of the systems were very good. I knew the larger Acapella's price but had no idea that the entire system was 600K and find this shocking. While the one Pavarotti track I heard was sublime on the Triolons, the rest of the music was also very good. I also heard the high Campaniles and found them equally as impressive as their larger siblings. I was happy to finally hear the FM acoustics amp and preamp and they seemed to have a better grip on the speaker. I think I could have been just as happy with the smaller speaker at only 89K and the FM acoustics electronics at about 85K and add your own front end and cables. My thoughts were after spending about 20 minutes in each room and they are not conclusive at all.

I must say that I also enjoyed the MBL room when they finally would turn down the music. On some tracks, the music was driven to insane levels and I had to leave the room. I must say that the MBL's do some things so differently in the imaging department that I felt I was part of the live event. I kept wondering if their imaging would wear thin in the long run. They played the same Pavoratti track that I heard on the Triolons and it definitely sounded more real on the Triolons. On other music, the MBL was simply amazing. My initial conclusion was that I would would love to own these speakers but that again was only after about 20 minutes. It would be a lot of fun to have about 250K burning a hole in my pocket to have to decide between the smaller Acapella system and the MBL System. Other choices with that 250K could be a Ferrari or a nice boat or even a house! Decisions Decisions!

A previous poster to this thread found the Apogees at the show lacking in bass. As a refurbished Apogee Scintilla owner(using the same Australian ribbons), I agree with that statement. I don't think the room was nearly large enough to allow the speaker to sing. I have my Scintillas 6 feet from the back wall! The Scintillas to many audiophiles have sufficient bass for the classical and jazz that I listen to. I must say that I found Fcrowder's post quite interesting from someone who is quite intimate with both of the Acapellas. My report was really a first glance from an admiring audiophile. Bob
The Amber Wave were incredible to look at and listen to! It was like a science project that got out of control. I could only imagine my wife's reaction to these amps if I attempted to bring them into the house. They are about 3-4 feet wide! If you haven't seen them, there are pictures posted of them at the various websites that covered the fest. The only problem is that the pictures really don't convey the size of these creations. I would love to hear them on the Triolons. Maybe Fcrowder can arrange an auditon!
Brian,
It was nice meeting you in your room on behalf of Teajay. 400K, 600K, what's 200K among friends! Bob