A phenomenal new CD transport-Pro-Ject CD Box RS2 transport

I have had in-house for the last week Pro-Ject's new CD Box RS2 transport to review for the website Stereo Times. I was very curious to assess its performance because it uses the Pro 8 drive with the Blue Tiger CD-84 servo card. This drive was developed and built by StreamUnlimited a company started by the original Phillips designers that historically built the finest CD mechanisms. Only two other companies use the StreamUnlimited 8 drive and Blue Tiger CD-84 servo card, their pieces cost $16,000 and $39,000 compared to Pro-Ject's sane price of $3,000!

My reference for the last two years has been the excellent Jay's Audio MK-II transport that had out-performed much more expensive highly regarded transports in my system. Well, across every sonic parameter  (transparency/micro-details-overall dynamics/bottom-end extension/purity of tonality- a much more airy sound-stage with wonderful 3D imaging) compared to the Jay's Audio transport.

That's way I titled this thread a "phenomenal new CD transport" because while not inexpensive, it just might be a bargain based on its performance. Mind you, this superlative level of performance is based on using the switching power supply that Pro-Ject ships the transport with. I have shortly coming a custom 20 watt 3 amp linear power supply from Linear Tube Audio and Pro-Ject's own upgraded power supply to see if the RS2 transport performance will even go to a higher qualitative level of performance.

I'll be writing a full detailed review for Stereo Times in the near future. However, I wanted to share this information to GON members who still spin CDs. I have had numerous CD transports in for evaluation and this just might be the best sounding of all of them.

Teajay (Terry London)

amorstereo

Showing 8 responses by kully560

I just received and played the project and it is far better than my musical  fidelity m1 cdt. I will be getting the pro-ject 4 way uni power supply on Saturday so that should be a nice improvement also . as far as sound goes.
1-more natural
2- a little more forward sound
3- much cleaner sound 
4-  tighter bass
5- hear more of the recording [things just pop out] 
6- crisper top end
7-  a little warmer also
8- separation is the same so far 
this is a comparison right out of the box.
with a upgrade power supply, upgrade dc power cord ,  upgrade ac power cord , upgrade fuse in power supply, this should be a killer set up.
well I just received my pro-ject audio linear power supply the uni 4 way today . been playing all afternoon the power supply runs very cool to the
touch after 4 hour of playing. it brought the project transport to a much higher level. 
1-tighter bass
 2- cleaner and better separation 
 3-even more natural than before 
 4- a deeper sound stage
 I did notice that the transport will not play the last 4 song on one of my discs , but the musical fidelity m1cdt plays it go figure? next week when I receive my parts for the dc power cord upgrade and build it that should take it to a higher level then the basic zip cord that comes with the power supply, plus a fuse upgrade.
hi  Charles , I spoke to another member here on the project oem upgraded dc power cable , and he stated his own build was better then there oem model. I ordered Furutech mini xlr connectors and the 24awg v quad cable form vh audio and I decided to build my own . the power supply from project is built like a brick very heavy. I was lucky that I found a 2 year old unit that was never used at a dealer. he wanted to get rid it at a really discounted price so I bought it, other wise I would have looked at the LTA units. 
well since I received the rs2t 3 weeks ago I added the project 4 way uni power supply a week later, very nice improvement all around. so last week I built a 20v dc power cable and the parts came from vh audio, again very nice improvement . today I added a fuse in the power supply [ hifi tuning supreme silver] it brought it up another level . this transport is unbelievable the more you upgrade it the more it likes it. unbelievable machine. 
for another thought on improving the project transport ,I build a umbilical power cord with the v quad cable from vh audio with the furutech connectors . it was another step or 2 up the ladder for like $80.00