A decent preamp for Altec 604 speakers

I am addicted to high efficiency speakers. I own Altec 620 monitors (6048G). Outstanding but require very good electronic. The mids tend to magnify poor elements ... Some told me to get a tube preamp... I had a few tube amps in the past and got sick of all the care they need. So I rather go with SS. I need transparency and a very smooth medium. I listen to vinyl, mostly acoustic and electric pop. Up to 1k for a used gear. Thanx.
128x128alaindexe

Showing 1 response by dr_joe

I use the Altec 604-8K, much the same as the -8G but with the Tangerine phase plug, revised crossovers and Manta Ray horn. In my main system, I use the Tannoy System 15 DMT II, not quite as sensitive as the Altec, but still over 95 dB

I use a Meitner PA6i preamp, upgraded by John Wright (www.museatex.com). My second choice has been the Bryston BP-25 with the MPS-1 power supply or BP-26 with the MPS-2 power supply.

When you can find them, the PA6 and PA6i go for anywhere from $400 to 600 ($2350 retail in 1990). John Wright charges $500 for the "Plus" upgrade. An astonishingly good preamp, tonally rich yet very detailed; also astonishing bass. Even better when you use it with the Meitner STR-55 or MTR-101 power amps, but excellent with any quality power amp.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Joel.