A DAC that ought to be better known: RME

I just bought a RME ADI-2 DAC on the recommendation of some technological minded audiophiles on another site and am delighted with the sound quality and price point. It isn’t especially user friendly and the multi page user manual is complicated. Plus the DAC has equalization and a great headphone amp, all in a small package. I always thought the Exogal was a great performer but the RME strikes me as superior, especially considering the significantly lower price. I listen to a lot of chamber music and it conveys the timbre of the string instruments exceptionally well. Plus, for the first time in a long while I can actually read the screen and see what’s happening. If anyone out there is looking for a DAC this is worth at least investigating. 
128x128rtorchia

Showing 6 responses by adg101

Add a linear external power supply and throw the switch one away. Something such as the Teddy Pardo will step it up to another level. No zippy sound whatsoever. Teddy delivered will run you $400 and worth every penny.
rtotchia, I suggest you try a different PS as you really have no claim to disqualify mine or others that have thrown out the stock switched supplies that come with the RME, Chord and others. You can call us nuts and it will be your loss, not mine. RME does state they do not believe changing the PS will make a difference, and Nelson Pass of Pass Labs for years suggested in his nicely written manuals that changing power cords will not benefit the sound of his amps, but guess what? He’s now acknowledging they do. I own a Pass amp and I didn’t need Mr. Pass to tell me either or. I suspect Pass Labs and maybe RME are saying, or said what they did to claim their gear is so good there’s nothing to improve it... great marketing I think.

I run my RME flat, all settings locked with the sharp filter set and it doesn’t need any tweaking of the EQ, loudness or whatever you want to adjust in my system and I am running it direct to my amp. I think it’s great they offer all the flexibility on the ADI, but I prefer to take the more pure approach and change out the power supply which is what distinguishes quality gear over not so good is the power supply. Hopefully you get the chance or the urge to try a linear supply as I think you’ll be surprised, but it does require a revealing system and ears to hear the differences which hopefully you have both.

The stock RME does sound really good on its own but it does lack some weight and the stage is a little closed in. As mentioned by others, it can be a little forward sounding. I’m not sure any setting within the RME is going to adjust that but maybe you’ll get lucky. If you love the way it sounds out of the box, then that’s all that really matters in the end. Glad you are enjoying your RME.
Teddy Pardo
12V/2A with 2.1mm connector. The connector is not a locking type as with the stock switch PS, but it is a snug fit so no concern it will pull out over any other plug.

Just added a Synergistic Research Orange fuse and too soon to tell. Want to give it some time to cook in but first impression is very positive. I have Blacks in my preamp and CDP and know there, they made an improvement. Quick opinion is in the Teddy, things seem more natural and the top end is still very clean but maybe a tad smoother. Sounds damn good, so excited to let it settle in.

I also have both my RME and Teddy on two separate 1 1/2”thick Baltic Birch platforms I built sitting on three isolation pads.

I’m still running the RME direct to amp. Sounds incredible. I also leave mine on 24/7. Not in any hurry to throw my ModWright preamp back in until I spin vinyl.

The biggest thing I feel the Teddy does, is improves the stage on the RME in depth especially. The top end cleans up but it does set it back and not at all forward. Additionally the bottom end really digs deeper and mid bass, midrange is fuller. I didn’t find the stock RME bright or fatiguing but now comparing back to stock I will never go back. The transformation is significant with the Teddy. I’m probably using cables that are a little overkill, but maybe not as they pull out what the RME/Teddy combo is capable of. 

Teddy Pardo are made and sold direct out of Israel so I doubt with shipping they would do a return but the sBooster may be one from Upscale Audio that does. Can’t speak for the others but I’m sure they are close in performance. I chose the Teddy based on positive comments from actual users and I prefer the appearance of it over the sBooster. I’m considering a Teddy for both my ProJect Xtension 10 table and Parks Audio Budgie phono preamp. Probably start with the Budgie as I really question on a turntable motor it will make a difference but ProJect recently came out with a linear supply as an upgrade for my table so who knows?

Before I upgraded to the Teddy I was using a custom power cord I made to go to the switch supply from the wall and that made an improvement, which convinced me if a power cord on the stock switch supply can make an improvement then surely a different supply would do as well and it did. I would suggest trying a power cord first to see if you hear a difference. The cord I made is the same one I also built for my Bluesound Vault 2 which also made an improvement with its internal switched PS. There’s been many discussions on the Bluesound players on upgrading the C7 type power cord so you can find several recommendations by others there under Bluesound Node and Vault players. Another nice thing about adding a linear supply is most have the more typical IEC inlet for more common cords.
When I ordered my Teddy Pardo it took 2-3 weeks at best to make it to my doorsteps. When I first emailed them inquiring on their product I had a response the next morning, which being across the globe and different time zones I felt response was quick enough. Emailed a couple times before making an order online and they always responded timely. Very respectful company that made their name with Naim users. Well made and nice case... not Jeff Rowland but not cheap either.
rtotchia

I run my RME balanced out and others with a balanced preamp or amp should do the same, if their other components are truly a balanced design. You should notice a lower noise floor. When you compare the two cables, try doing it at a fairly low listening level getting the the level matched the best you can. I find running balanced I can listen at lower levels and it’s still as enjoyable. You really need two of the same cable to do a fair comparison, but I have had great results with even Canare balanced IC’s.