A/D/S L1290s and PA1

I've had my L1290s for a long time and finally came across a pair of PA1s (with the OM).  In the OM it seems there are 2 options when connecting a pre-out to the PA1s (this will use both the crossover and bi-amping functions).  You can connect the pre-out L/R to each PA1 and be done OR do something they call 'Chaining' where you connect both pre-outs to one PA1 and then connect to the other PA1. 

My experience tells me I should go with the former.  Does anyone know what this 'Chaining' is all about?  I can PDF pages from the OM if there is interest.
pioneer24

I've tried it both ways, and makes no difference in the sound. I have both 1290/2's and 1590/2's, and have used the PA-1's on both. To me, the sound from those amps is too lean in the midrange, and I sold them. A better way to biamp is with the ADS C2000 x-over and two identical stereo amps, but that can get expensive. Also, the C-2000 must be modified internally, which is quite easy to do, to make it work with those speakers, as it was originally designed to work with the L1230, L1530, L2030. All biamping ever did for me was to increase bass output, which can also be accomplished by adding a subwoofer. I currently use the above mentioned speakers with a McIntosh MC7200 amp + a Velodyne F1500R sub, running the speakers full range and adding in the sub output  as needed. This has worked out great for me.

To answer your ? simply, I didn't find any difference in how you connect it. The distance from your preamp to speakers, and distance between speakers may dictate which method you prefer. Happy listening, the 1290 is a superb speaker, even by today's standards!!! 

sid42 - thanks for your comments & experiences.  I probably won't go the 'Chaining' route.  My initial listening has me satisfied with the PA1 - although interestingly I found the mids too strong - so I boosted the bass a notch on the PA1s.

I'll go ahead and share some other comments about my 1290 listening.  I have the original 1290s & the 1290/2s - so far, I cannot tell much difference.  I will say that both 1290s totally rise to the occasion when fed a higher quality source - much more so than other vintage speakers that I have.  

Next up I will try bi-amping.  I have 2 Pioneer Spec-2s and a Pioneer SF-850 crossover.  It will be interesting to see how that plays out.  

I have owned and still own many models of a/d/s. But the L-1290 combined with the PA-1 will end my quest. I have 2 pairs. I used them for years without the PA-1’s, then after searching for years acquired them and now I’m satisfied that they provide all the audiophile qualities I’ve been seeking and I’m now ready to stop analyzing and just enjoy the music. The 1290's are a good value and a decent speaker without the PA-1, but with it, produce the sound stage and imaging somewhat lacking without it. Failing to pull them out into the room, you will probable discern no difference, but when positioned correctly this combination of bi-amping unveils a detail and a space between the notes that simply wasn’t there before. I can only best describe the (space between the notes) as a silence, a lack of sound, no smearing, as if an envelope of time has increased to enable the listener to not just hear the music but that spacing when there is no sound and an ability to locate within the sound stage precisely the placement of each instrument and musician. Now there are better speakers, but at at a lot more money. There are some reasonable priced speakers, like the Magnepan’s, which will produce fantastic detail, but flat panel ribbons fail to produce the front to back sound stage and imaging that a dynamic driver can. I’ve used them with and without my sub-woofers and for most music, the additional extension is just not needed. The bass roll off specs on the speaker is listed as flat to 40 hz, yet is not listed with the PA-1, other than to suggest the amp extends to base down further and to that I must agree. Yet, I’ve never sensed any distortion, no matter how loud I wish to search for that sweet spot volume. If anything the volume levels are enjoyable at any level. Now I’ve read many comments from others who have went from without the PA-1 to with it and have been disappointed. I can only conclude they haven’t the patience, nor experience to discern what this combination is capable of producing. I think they may have unrealistic expectations, anticipating the clouds to part and an euphoric chorus of angels to descend upon them. For those who are disappointed, I’ll gladly purchase their PA-1’s from them and continue this diseased passion to the next level.