A Better Way to Buy Gear - Help Needed

** this is a Sale-Process question... not a Gear question**

Hi All:

I intend to upgrade my stereo this year and have located an item that I want to purchase. Unfortunately, there is a ‘snag’ -- the seller insists on receiving the money before I get to see the item.

With this introduction, I would greatly appreciate knowing your individual/collective experience and advice.  Perhaps there is a solution!

About the Sale-Process:

The seller accepts only cash or PayPal Family & Friends:  He gets the money before I get the item. 

Because I would be without PP Buyer Protection, I would be stuck with any/all repair(s).

About the item:

The item is sealed in a box (NOS), so I cannot

1. determine if it was damaged during shipping (to his house),
    2. power-up the unit and demo/confirm the functions. 
    3. verify the cosmetic appearance of the item
    4. verify that the correct item is in the box!
    5. Condition is advertised = 11/10

The item is big, heavy and expensive.  I have seen a photo of the box, but there is no meaningful information visible in that photo (e.g. company, make, model).

Additional information:

The seller lives in another State, a long way from my location.  A visit would involve a flight (or a long drive) and day or two in a hotel.  

The seller has a 95% rating. 

To me, a good rating means that I am willing to engage with a seller, but it does NOT justify sending the money without verifying the item’s existence/condition.

My question:

Because I am not inclined to send cash up-front, is there a better way forward for this ‘money-before-gear’ type of sale?

Thanks in advance for your replies, and happy listening!

inagroove

only a FOOL sends money via paypal F and F. 1st off it is deceitful to paypal it is a sale and not a gift etc. a service is being used and needs to be paid, 2nd NO protection at all. Why in the world would you even consider doing it ?

everything to lose and nothing to gain here.

@ntpc4 I like the idea of finding someone local from here. I wonder if the seller would open the box then. 

If they wouldn't, then f them. I wish I knew what piece of gear we were talking about; anything described as NOS intrigues me.

Find someone in this community who is local to the seller and would do you the favor of inspecting the gear. I'd do that for another enthusiast. Good luck!

Discernment is a gift many lack.  For me I like to have a nice long conversation with a seller before I buy. I can pick up on BS pretty quickly if we converse. 

If they pass the conversation test and the questions therein I'm OK with PP friends and family. Plus I hate giving those creeps 3%