A/B Comparison On A Pair Of Moderately Priced Streamers

Based strictly on signal quality and what makes your ears happy ( I don't care about storage for sake of question).......Would anyone make the argument that an Innuos Zen mini is an upgrade over an N100?

scottya118

Showing 1 response by lloyd1969

I had a very good experience upgrade a Bluesound Node 2i with the Fidelity Audio PSU replacement module and running the next-to-best FA LPS. It was a significant  and obvious  improvement in SQ. So when the NODE 130 came out I ordered it directly from FA with the PSU module and an added clock board (pretty affordable as you don’t pay VAT if you are in the US) and found that that unit was obviously better in SQ than my modified 2i. ( BTW, when discussing the value of Bluesound streamers, everyone needs to specify which one is being discussed, as almost everyone who has heard both thinks the NODE 130 sounds better than the 2i ). That being said, I recently added a Gustard X26 DAC which makes the whole thing sound better, but did end up tweaking that a bit more with a good USB cable. I think a modified NODE 130 is a very good streamer/DAC unit, and because of the friendliness of the interface, makes a very good streamer to use with with an external DAC. I think exclusive of power cords and the USB cable, my pimped 130 with LPSU was about $1500, with the Gustard X26 adding another $1600.

I know some may be skeptical, but when I was auditioning speakers in the showroom with a comparable amp/pre setup to what I have at home, using a $3000 streaming/DAC, and there was no let down when I played the new speakers at home with the pimped 130 (before I added the Gustard).