A $250 Power Conditioner?

Howard reviews the Puron, which is a small AC power conditioner ($250 USD) "plug" that is distributed by Vera-Fi Audio. It’s said to cleanse the electronic circuit that feeds and audio system. Many tweaks cost a pretty penny for little or no performance increase. Is that the case here?

128x128russter

Showing 4 responses by questforhifi

Brightness city wow

its like taking an equalizer and going +9 db to the treble

i can understand why you guys like this, but it does NOT mix well with silver speaker cables

i had it plugged into wall next to Galileo sx power cord. At first i liked it, and immediately thought it was a positive improvement

I’ve spent the past week trying to figure out what’s wrong with my system and what was causing the unbearable brightness. I tried everything, finally i removed the puron and immediately my ears stop ringing. I now realize the puron has simply just broken in. The first day or two i was just getting a little bit of the puron and it was good. Now thats its broken, its just too much

i decided it give it another shot, this time in my power conditioner instead of wall outlet…

its the same thing.

maybe if i had copper speaker cables or a much less resolving system i could see the benefits

this product doesnt filter or change ac at all

usually those type of products fail miserably

my understanding is that this product detects noise and tries to override it with its own noise that may be more pleasing to human ears

its not a power conditioner at all. its more of a sound tweak

I will say this as someone who only uses a single puron

It does make music sound more real. You would have to hear it for yourself. I have very expensive electronics. Im very fond of my stealth audio and nordost cabling though-out and i love my synergystic  power conditioner but none of them ever made certain songs sound so realistic.
It could be the culmination of everything though. I cant just say it was the puron thats not fair to my other components 

my only complaint, which is a rather large one, is that some songs sound too aggressive/ bright with the puron vs when i take it out that tension seems to go away. But like i said its not for all tracks and my wife hasnt noticed (but im very sensitive to it)

the cool thing about the puron, its VERY noticeable in effect. Something unbelievable for only $250

this is not something where you have to say.. hmm well i think its doing something? You dont have to a/b it, the effect isnt subtle 

thats why i like it but its not a true power conditioner in the sense it will do anything to actually filter your ac…. Which is a good thing because like i said earlier thats a very expensive endevour and most products that try to do so struggle and this includes both the p20 and also the entire line from stromtank which can be in the tens of thousands of dollars for some models

from what I understand this actually tries to override noise with more pleasant noise (some noise sounds good to the human ears) which is possibly why the guy with 8 of these is getting high noise readings

finally to touch back on the brightness topic. Im not being completely fair to rhe puron. Its just one piece of a larger system. Im due for a dac upgrade. I think the mola mola tambaqui will help smooth out the sound and give me what i want.

Also i have been using a generic ethernet cable for streaming. Im sure when my new cable comes things will improve even more

how do you buy the version with furutech blades. I bought the standard version on audiogon but can seem to find a place to buy the upgraded one

Also, I updated some items in my streamer chain.  + fully burnt in the puron and brightness seems to have gone away