800D vs 800 D2 setup?

Folks, 

I need the collective wisdom to weigh in as I am at a cross roads. I listen to a lot of 2 channel, would be a base head to most.  Current l/c/r is paradigm studio 100s V5 with cc690 center and 2 rhythmic f15s.  room size is 40 by 30 with 11 ft ceilings used for tv/theatre/2channel. Set on black, I prefer gloss over black.  

Option 1. 800D and the Monsterous HTM1D

pros:  HTM1D is massive, talk about prescense.  

cons: panio is not available, > 5 years old, age, 

option 2 800 D2 with htm2

pros: painio available, < 5 years old, looks better without grills, 

cons: no matchig htm1d, htm2 just looks wimpy to 800s 

About the same between both:
- cost is +/- couple k between the 2 options.  
- comparing between 2 setups is impossible 

What would you do?  Older or newer?  I may have answered myself since I listen to 2 channel and the economics say put less in the center channel.  

Thoughts?  Thanks in advance! 
robert_gi
Mb1, please elaborate more.  I have heard them but not for hours on end.  You mean, difficult as in tiring? 
" Mb1, please elaborate more.  I have heard them but not for hours on end.  You mean, difficult as in tiring?"

Before I start, I need to be clear that I'm not bashing B&W. This is just my opinion along with some observations I've noticed over the years.

When you look at people who owned B&W speakers, you'll see that in most cases, they were one of the first pairs speakers someone buys. Its almost always past tense. I had B&W speakers, not have.

The main reason for this, is that B&W is a very exciting speaker to listen to. They have a quick, lively sound to them that really sucks people in. Once you have them for a while, the novelty wears off, and you begin to evaluate them in a more honest fashion. For most individuals, myself included, find that the high frequencies can be too much. Call it bright, sibilant, harsh... or whatever. Some people can tolerate it more than others. I even know some audiophiles that prefer this kind of sound. Its a judgment call that only you can make. If you still like them after an honest evaluation, then you should buy them. Your opinion is the only one that matters. My advice is to be cautious and not rush into a purchase. Also, my comments apply to both the aluminium and diamond tweerer's. They sound different, but I find both of them to be annoying.   
Either one is a downgrade from your current speakers.   What do you like about the B&W over your paradigms?    B&W is not really a high end speaker even though they make models that get up there in price.   dollar for dollar there are so many better speakers out there.
I disagree with timber and mb1.  

I have had multiple speakers and ended up with the BW, albeit the 802D3, which I have had a/b experience against the D2 and found to be significantly superior.  

I would not consider a D2 if the D3 were a possible choice.  

The BW D3 require a great room... anything less and they sound... subpar.