7308 tube code question

I just received 10 NOS Amperex 7308 from my father. Each tube has the following markings:

All lettering in white
USN-CEP
A white triangle like symbol
VR5 *5B etched in the glass

The only nomenclature that I am familiar with is the USN = US Navy. What does the rest mean? What do people think of these tubes in a phono section of a pre-amp designed to take 6DJ8's
brf

Showing 2 responses by dekay

I also have these tubes and if NOS they will require a minimum of 30-40 hours, or so, of use for the bass to kick in and for them to open up. In gear that runs them easy you may have to double this - plus. Just to say, give them some time. This was one of my favorites in the input section of a SET amp that I no longer own. Very odd for Amperex 6922 types to take this amount of time/use in order to open up, but this has been my experience with them.
Good question: I only have two out right now (just received them back from a friend) and they are etched VR5, *5D (also 518 on one and 535 on the other, towards the top). The white printing is: USN-CEP 7308, Made in U.S.A., Amperex and (65-35 on one and 65-14 on the other. There may be a faint delta on the bottom (between the pins), but it may also just be a natural variation in the glass (I cannot see it clearly enough). There are no remains of a large triangle on these and as the rest of the print is in good shape I doubt that there ever was. Hopefully Kevin can further ID these. The most important thing however is how they sound.