6sn7 to 6922 adapter: good idea or bad idea?

I was messing around on tubedepots website, and when I put in 6sn7 as a serach enginge, these adapters came up to put into a 6922 socket so the 6SN7 could be used.

I would be using a pair of them in front of a Cary v12 (Cary calls them the "driver + input" tubes). There is plent of room on the amp  where those tubes would be going.  I have several pairs of tested good vintage 6SN7s I could roll in those sockets, and that's why the adapters caught my interest.

immatthewj

Showing 1 response by armstrod

I've used 6SN7s with the 6922 adapters (from Tube Depot) on 3 different pieces of Decware equipment with terrific results. I'm a big fan of the 6SN7 and have an extensive stash, so it was definitely a win for me. If you search the Decware site there were many similar success stories.

Of course, checking with the manufacturer is always advised. I checked with Steve before I tried it and he thought the difference in the heater specs would be handled fine by his power supplies and he was correct. Other amps may not fare as well.

I thought the sonics were as good and often better than the 6922s I tried, plus I had lots of 6SN7s to roll. If you were starting from scratch and having to purchase either 6SN7s or 6922s, then the economic advantage pretty much goes away.