6L6WGC/5881 Tube choices for Amp

Dear Friends,
I have a small system in my office which punches out 40 Watts (sounds like 80 really) in pentode configuration.

I currently have the stock tubes on em - not bad, but i feel with the power tube change, things can go really sweet.

I have no knowledge on Tubes, Frankly on Ebay a quad matched pair
can range from 400-900.00 i do not know if its worth it to spend that
kind of money.

However,i am keen on changing the ECC83 to Brimar NOS.

Any help i can get is really appreciated!
thegoodarcher

Showing 14 responses by thegoodarcher

Jedinite24 & Mechans,
First of all Merry Christmas! and Thank you for your responses.
Firstly, This is my Amp
http://www.synthesis.co.it/pdf/prime/Shine.pdf
Mean Little Amp! It put to shame a 300 Watt Integrated costing Twice as much and with 5 stars in Stereophile,Absolute Sound Etc!

Only Problem is manual biasing and no VU Meter, otherwise build and
sound is fantastic!

I do not mind using the Sylvania, but Doug's do not have matched sets?
My Maximum Budget for NOS Quad Matched Set is around 220.00 USD

Please do let me know if anyone that is credible and knowledgable has something in this range.

I mostly listen to a lot of native instruments like Sitars etc and a lot of
Jazz like Miles Davis,Dave Brubeck in the office, very little rock.

I know its unfair, to want to the midrange of the EL34 via the 6L6 - but i am unconsciously going for it - :)

Regarding the Brimar, i paid close to 180.00 for a matched pair, yes
i got carried away alright, but i wanted to see whats the fuss is about.
I did try a rca black pate 5751 in my older Rogue Cronus Magnum, i had
better resolution but there was loss in musicality, which i didn't really like.

I Bought the Brimar to try it out on the Shine, but later i might move it
to my main amplifier the Synthesis Metropolis 200 NYCi.

This is all the NOS tube experience i have, actually i do not mind
new tube as long as these are not bright or artificial.

I am going to google McShane Design now!

Looking to hear more from other people!
Yes..Tes Rbrowne, Thanks a lot i couldn't find a better or NOS 12BH7 thats worthwhile, i am going to replace the ECC83 with Brimars..so the reason to look for a nice quad 6L6.
The Problem is i do not know which quads are good for the money i am willing to spend - for me the rolling stops threre - so i want to go for something solid - hope someone can help me..
Dear Frogman,
Thank you very much doe your response - Do you mean this one?
http://www.boiaudioworks.com/6L6GCSVMatchedQuad ?

Have you experienced with TAD Tubes?
http://www.boiaudioworks.com/tad_6L6gc_str_matched_quad

and lastly, does the 6L6 "W" GLC - does the W mean anything in vast different that the ones without it will fit my amp??

Thank you so much for your response!
Xti16 - Indeed, i feel a music should be able to reproduce magic some aspect atleast for it to be declared "superior in every aspect" did not find that in magico the bass modules are better, but no insight to the music like
the D2.

Back to Tube Discussions - Guys the manufacturer says 6L6WGC by sovtek is probably the best, and moost durable - theres one german manufacturer who also makes 6L6WGC - but at this point i am confused which is superior, manufacturer says sovtek is better? that disqualifies other tubes?
Dear Frogram,
Wonderful Pointers! and thank you so much!

Dear XTi16,
I am actually nearing for a decision to go with the D2s but just holding to
hear from one more manufacturer!

As far as the tubes go my Metropolis Amp has KT120 Output tubes which hopefully i can change to KT150 - but i do not know if theres fidelity increase or power increase, i need speak to the manufacturer.

But you are right - the preamp tubes have the greatest change as far
as playback quality is concerned, the note about Raidho works better with sometubes is a revelation.

It could have been confusing because i was earlier talking about the Synthesis Metropolis in the Raidho thread, and then Another Synthesis Here - these are not the same!

The One which will go with the Raidho or Magico is the
Metropolis 200 NYCi Integrated 240 Watts Monster.

The one for this post is the
Synthesis Shine Integrated (40 Watts Pentode Pull Pull) which
i use with Zingali Home Monitor Plus 2.10.

It Rivals some of the best setups at 3x its price!

For this mini amp i am going to take yours and frogma's advice and
source a telefunken!
Thats nice to hear and i;ll keep t hat in mind - i am steering more towards
the Svetlana Winged 6LG at the moment - but it will interested in the tungsol as well...
Xti16 - very sad indeed, there wasn't a need for anyone to take that down,because they contained valuable insights into anyone who's sadly would possibly be in the same shoes regarding between two makers.

Thank you so much Xti16 for your support, i guess forums like this will strictly remain.

I found the Raidho superior, in every aspect.

Funny feeling, do you think Magico - :) had anything to do with it?
Largemouthass,
YOU WILL LOVE THE SHINE!
The only draw back is the biasing is done manually, best setting is 40mv.
It also works beautifully with the Brio Phonostage if you can find it on eBay
and has wonderful synergy.

To be absolutely honest without mentioning any names the Shine clearly defeated a 250 watt integrated amplifier from a leading manufacturer, this manufacturer for this particular model had got 6 awards from Absolute Sound,HifiChoice and other publication and the Shine is relatively unknown out of Europe.

I decided then that i need this baby!

The transformers are "wound" in house and everything is made by hand,
the real output of this amp i would say is equivalent to 80 - 40 tube wattage doesnt do this justice, its such a musical amplifier!

Regarding the Output tubes Synthesis says that the preferred the sovteks because they could withstand higher "plate voltage" and played uninterruptedly without any leak because the power and output transformer is very close to the tube, they recommend to keep the tube cage on as it can act as a "heat shrink" - whilst rolling sensitive tubes...
Dear Frogman,
They just told me that the Sovtek withstand higher plate voltage and sound nice and tubes have long life (probably because the the tube socket is very close to the transformers, other brand's tube crack, leakes?) The stock tubes were 6P3S think which is a 6L6WGC made by Reflector which i believe is NOS quality , the manufacturer said the Sovtek's are better, they thought at that time the reflector ones are better, their honest opinion.

For the Shine i was told a standard 6L6GC will only produce lesser power,
although i do not know what is the difference between a 6L6WG"C" and a 6L6WG"B" ????
Dear Frogman,
Thank you so much how much do you think a Winged C Svetlana
quad will run me for? - and where can i get it? are the 6L6WGC or just 6L6GC?
Guys,
There a few "quads" of reflector made 6L6WGC on ebay, essentially like Frogman said - they might be the "same thing" like the standard Sovtek 6L6WGC because both are made by the same plant.

I am unsure if i can use the standard 6L6GC - i am so temped to try the Svet Winged C 6L6GC from Upscale but worried it won't withstand the plate voltage and might give me less output than the "W" version...as my manufacturer says...

Is 6P3S-E and and a 6L6GC the same thing?
Dear Friends,
Thank you so much! and yes i will get in touch with kevin from upscale
and going to check out cryoset, thanks and will report back with my findings.