6922 Tubes!

Hi everyone, There are many old threads about the 6922, I wanted to know what people are using currently that wont break the bank, ( ie...$150 per tube seems a lot). I need to buy 4 new ones for my phono preamp. Should I just order a set of tubes from the manufacturer (Manley Labs) it seems they like to use Electro Harmonics and they are very affordable, so what does a $100 tube do?? because the originals were pretty nice sounding. I just dont want to overspend on tubes for the unit/system im using them in.  Help.

Matt M
128x128mattmiller

Showing 2 responses by strateahed

I've had very good luck with Amperex Orange Globe 6DJ8's. IMHO close to Amperex 6922 PQ in sound quality, but a LOT more economical. In my system, while the Russian rocket logo 6N1P's were indeed very quiet, they're a bit sterile for my tastes. I think I have a quad of those in my accessory drawer somewhere. BTW, there's a quad of Orange Globe's (made in Holland) for sale on EBay ($75). Seller has excellent 100% feedback. Check out Joe's Tube Lore on Audio Asylum for the rundown. If I didn't already have a pretty good back-up stash, I'd be all over it. Of course, YMMV. Good luck and Happy Listening!
Thanks for the suggestion @johnnyb53 , but it took a fair amount of trial and experimentation to settle on a combo that works for me. For TT set-up I'm using the AT150 cart with Audio Horizons TP 8.0 phono pre; and went through quite a few listening sessions with the preamp lid off. That way I could change out tubes in order to do some A/B/A type testing once deciding on a reference point. Were it not for the hassle of finding/packing them up, I'd give those 6N1P's to anyone willing to pay for shipping. As I very often say YMMV.