5AR4 rectifier tube question

I am sort of shopping for one or more 5AR4s for a Cary SLP05 power supply because I’d like to have at least one spare and because I’d maybe like to roll two or three ad see if I can hear an improvement or vice versa. I make no claims of knowing much about the vacuum tube game; occasionally I get lucky & stumble on something that really works for me. As far as the 5AR4, I did a hit at Uncle Kevin’s site, and there were some that looked interesting (I am thinking of one in particular, it had a Japanese sounding name that started with a ’M’) but when I click on it, all I get is a picture of Uncle Kevin’s screaming face telling me "not to buy tubes" (later, when I finally took time to read, apparently his tube tester is down).

So I started doing hits on Ebay, and oh my gosh! I was inundated with choices and the variation in prices! Which do I stay away from and which should I be interested in? Would a 5AR4 from Bugera also be suitable for what I’d want to use it for? Could a rectifier tube provide a big sonic upgrade if I spent enough money on it? Can I make a sonic upgrade from what I believe (I haven’t opened up the power supply yet) is the stock EH 5AR4 without breaking the bank? I would be totally good with the $50.00 range and picking up 2 or 3 different ones to play with if those with experience thought I could improve the power supply in that range. If I had to I guess I could go more (the $100.00 range) but I probably wouldn’t be buying too many of them, and I was kind of HOPING not to go much over that.

Anyway, thanks in advance for the input; I always consider it part of my education.

immatthewj

Showing 19 responses by rodman99999

It also seems apparent: the genuine Rocket Scientist, at Balanced Audio Technology (Viktor Khomenko), understands that power supply/rectifier changes can and will make dramatic changes, in one's musical presentation.

ie:

https://www.audionexus.com/nl10_balanced_audio_technology.shtml

The hole in the pin is a giveaway and with the code’s starting with a B: should be a Mullard from the Blackburn plant.

How many teeth are there, in each side of the top mica?

One more time:

In SS, linear power supplies: upgraded rectifiers and regulators, often makes some of the most audible and dramatic improvement in presentation.     The same applies to tube components, BECAUSE (in every gain stage): what the signal does is modulate the power supply's DC, into a stronger signal, until it ultimately reaches your speakers and ears.

iow: You're listening to your power supply!

Capiche?

(of course not!)

Keep in mind: there's a plethora of variables, between that 5AR4/GZ34 and what you ultimately perceive (media/components/room/ears/brain/perspectives).

OH, and: NEVER accept info, from a bogus* Intelligence Operative! 

*What they offer will typically be in character 

Happy experimenting and listening!

Not certain about many of the NOS rectifiers, out there, but: a Mullard Blackburn, GZ34, in pristine condition, will always bring above $150, from what I've seen of late.

One reason for the demand and price, is the presentation, which (of course) is a matter of the palate.

Another huge one: typically, the tube will still be testing GOOD, long after the first purchaser has expired.

From those that I've spoken to, component designers/manufacturers are well aware, whatever active gain devices* they choose to incorporate in their components: the quality of presentation will be directly proportionate to the quality of the DC *they modulate, as controlled by the signal they're presented.

Note the number of times, "power supply upgrades" and, "HEXFREDs" are mentioned, in the following upgrades/paths/offers.    Bybee Rails are another power supply upgrade/tweak, btw.

http://www.rogueaudio.com/The_Magnum_Series.htm

https://www.jolida.com/upgrades/upgrading-your-equipment

Odyssey used to offer HEXFREDs (ultra fast/ soft recovery) as an upgrade, but: now, just as a standard parts.

https://odysseyaudio.com/candela-vacuum-tube-line-preamplifier/.

Happy listening!

Too bad eBay doesn't offer Frequent Flyer Miles.

Sounds like you're hooked!

Give each tube some hours, before critically listening and take notes, per your impressions.       Then: post 'em.

Mostly: HAVE FUN!

+1s, for those that recommended NOS Mullards as the go-to, for tube rectifiers.                       Especially: look for those manufactured in the Blackburn plant.

In SS, linear power supplies: upgraded rectifiers and regulators, often makes some of the most audible and dramatic improvement in presentation.     The same applies to tube components, BECAUSE (in every gain stage):

"All the signal does ultimately is to modulate the power supply DC."

I'm sorry, "...VALVE..." (in case there are any Brits in the audience).

Enjoy the journey!

@immatthewj -

It’s hard to go wrong with Amperex, regardless of the context.

When you receive yours: look for date codes like: F32/B4J1 or: F32/B4H5, etched into the glass.    Also: for a hole in the guide pin.

Those would indicate that your Amperex was manufactured by Mullard and rebranded.

Many of the better tube companies rebranded/sold Mullard’s wares.

Some have four, some seven, but: forget the notches.

Not important!

How's it sound?

Here's something you may find interesting.

There are some Mullards compared, for plate structure, etc and the last two both have the 5 tooth, top mica.

Just a way to close in on the valve's year, but: not nearly as important as the condition, strength and sound.

https://www.google.com/search?q=identifying+mullard+5ar4%2Fgz34&oq=identifying+mullard+5ar4%2Fgz34&aqs=chrome..69i57j33i160.14529j1j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_5wJeYqXzL7CO9PwPpqq18AQ15

Just relax and enjoy the music.

Its a lot easier to obfuscate issues with a quick A/B comparison, than over the long term.   That, "comfortable and relaxed...feeling", in YOUR listening room, over the long term, is ALL that's important.

Keep in mind: valves typically take something like 50 hrs of use, before they sound their best.    Some will claim such is a result of ones ears adjusting.   

This is a verbatim quote, from a letter Brent Jessee sends, whenever one buys valves from him: 

"CARE AND FEEDING OF NEW TUBES: BREAK-IN
New tubes need a break-in period before they can fully exhibit their true sonic character when used in audio circuits. Preamp tubes especially benefit from a good break-in. This period may vary widely, but NOS vintage tubes usually need at least 48 hours of use, sometimes up to 100 hours. New current production tubes need 24-48 hours typically.
Good break-in can be accomplished by either leaving your tube unit turned on in a no-signal condition for 2 days, or you can just enjoy the tubes for several hours each evening and they will be broken in after several weeks. New tubes, especially NOS vintage tubes, may sound a bit edgy at first, but after the break-in period will mellow out and sound wonderful."

Enjoy your jams!

btw: That, "flashing" mentioned is the main component of a tube’s gettering system.

Here’s some info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Getter

@immatthewj -

OH MY!    Sounds as though you may need to seek help!

Had a Therapist for a while, myself.

Unfortunately: they committed suicide.

Mentioned me in their note.

I remember reading about a serial killer who left a note at a murder scene that read, "Stop me before I kill again!"

@immatthewj -

Five teeth = four notches?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I can't really see the notches from the pictures provided, am I missing something? 

I’d like to believe the OP capable of sorting through the (seemingly convoluted) preponderance of info and experience offered, once the tubes they’ve ordered are in hand.

It appears they are disposed to trusting their own ears and don’t mind spending a few bucks, to experiment with their own equipment, in their own room.

As long as they’re having fun/enjoying themselves, after the past 24 months of mandated misery: I say KUDOS!

Worse case scenario: they’ll have a few good tubes to sell, once they’ve placated the Otic Nervosa beast.

For the blissfully unaware:

In SS, linear power supplies: upgrading rectifiers and regulators often makes some of the most audible and dramatic improvement in presentation.     The same applies to tube components (AND: tube rectifiers), BECAUSE (in every gain stage): what the signal does is modulate the power supply's DC, via whatever active gain device the designer has chosen, into a stronger signal, until it ultimately reaches your speakers and ears.

iow: You're listening to your power supply!

again:

From those that I've spoken to, component designers/manufacturers are well aware, whatever active gain devices* they choose to incorporate in their components: the quality of presentation will be directly proportionate to the quality of the DC *they modulate, as controlled by the signal they're presented.

Note the number of times, "power supply upgrades" and, "HEXFREDs" are mentioned, in the following upgrades/paths/offers.    Bybee Rails are another power supply upgrade/tweak, btw.

http://www.rogueaudio.com/The_Magnum_Series.htm

https://www.jolida.com/upgrades/upgrading-your-equipment

Odyssey used to offer HEXFREDs (ultra fast/ soft recovery) as an upgrade, but: now, just as a standard parts.

https://odysseyaudio.com/candela-vacuum-tube-line-preamplifier/.

and from Cary:

If you have not had it done to your favorite Cary Audio piece, the Hexfred option makes an awesome difference! Hexfreds are high speed low noise rectifiers and replace your existing standard rectifiers in the power supply. You will notice more speed, air, detail, imaging and tighter bass, yet a cleaner clearer sound quality. The Hexfreds help to provide a cleaner, faster DC voltage which shows up very noticeably in the sound quality. There is one more layer of hash and hardness (noise) that is removed so that you can just enjoy the music! Bass is faster with more details and the midrange and highs are cleaner and clearer. You will hear more detail with less bite.