$50k - $80k Budget…Opinions please.

Long story short, I sold my beloved 2-channel to reduce family debt. In about a year-ish, I’ll be in a position to rebuild with a hefty budget. I loved my Harbeth + Pass Labs combo. My REL sub died before I really got to integrate it, so opinions wanted there as well. I fully understand the diminishing margin of returns when moving into some arenas, but that’s ok, opinions are strongly encouraged.

I listen to a lot of Miles Davis/Coltrane, Radiohead, Tool, Pearl Jam, Brent Cobb. I’ve often preferred “organic” or neutral, not sure how technical that is.

toddcowles

Since you liked your previous Harbeth's, if your room is large enough, you can purchase a used Harbeth 40.1 or 40.2 for about half or less than original price. Add  good solid state amps like  Classe monblocks, a good tubed preamp like Audio Research or CJ, a quality turntable/cartridge and you would not even spend 1/2 of your proposed budget

\\\preamp

@toddcowles Can you elaborate more on your previously owned "beloved 2 channel system" i.e price paid , why not just replace with some upgrades ? I know this is the route I would take , with little to no hesitation. Unless you are looking into a multi channel HT system in place of a 2 channel setup.

See what happens then is you can satisfy the itch to get back into the audio pool & more importantly exercise some restraint at not embarking on a spending spree , just because it is possible now to do so.

Did you not gain any wisdom from the experience , rather unpleasant it must be, to have such serious family financial problems at your door & resort to extreme means as a temporary solution. The bigger picture scenario might require some sacrifice here and there to yield better long term financial stability.

Hi Todd.   .       .                                                                        Follow ghdprentice advice.He is 100% right.Just adding my 2 cents.If you hear a less expensive system you like then good luck to you.More money doesn't always buy happiness. Synergy will!However,if the cost is little more,then save some more and build a system your ears had approved.If you are still undecided, then buy the best of Harbeth and Pass.Consider buying used if possible.

Obvious idea is redo what you had !

Alternatively, do what I use here for mastering every style daily. Evolution MM3 +Exact (used $23,000 +Exact), Allnic Audio A-6000 linear tube amps (used $10,000). DA options are Berkley Audio Design Ser III, Bricasti M1 SE or Mytek Manhattan II (new: $12,000, 9000, 4500)

I buy used, depreciated, broken in, when possible !

After having been through a ton of gear (all the Harbeth and REL S series included), I am confident that nothing will outperform Fleetwood Sound DeVilles. For those of us that like a slightly warm presentation, they give you that musicality but don’t sacrifice detail or efficiency like the Harbeths. My DeVilles sound like my Harbeth 40.2 with the towels taken off! Retail is around $16-20k depending on the options you choose. 

For the rest of the system, a lot depends on what you want to focus on. My guess from your post is that you like a warmer sound, so I would pair the Fleetwoods with a Luxman integrated amplifier or some tubes you like. The other no brainer pairing with the Fleetwoods is either of the Technics GaN integrateds - honestly the $2800 ones sounds outstanding with those speakers. It is just one of those pairings that works super well. DAC is part of the amp itself, so all you need is a nice little streamer, a turntable (go with technics 1200G) and a couple cables. You’ll be all in for $30k or less and have a shockingly better system than most people with $80k systems.