$500 USB cable

Someone is trying to sell some fancy (used and 2 ft long) USB cable for $497.50. I am genuinely curious since I am no expert. What does this ultra expensive USB cable do to your audio system (besides transferring digital data)?
jkbtn

Showing 3 responses by jkbtn

Its role is to transfer "digital data", i.e., 0(zero)s and 1s, not "audio signal". As long as your $10 USB cable is structurally solid, it should work as good as the $500 one.
mgreen27 we all know what it does as I mentioned in my first post "transferring digital data" then again in my second post. That was not an answer to my own question. Why would some people spend that much money on a USB cable when they already know what it does? Are there really some serious science associated or could there be some other practical or psychological reasons that I didn't know? I hoped someone could explain to me in a manner that doesn't require a professional degree in electromagnetism. sbank " by improving the digital source(to a microRendu fed by Synology NAS using CAT6A ethernet cable) and a good quality linear power supply, I can now use an inexpensive(i.e. basically free!) USB connector... " I agree with you 100%... I would spend my $500 to upgrade my DAC.