500 albums in a basement flood--worth saving?

Hi--just had 6' high (relatively clean) water fill basement during recent hurricane/tropical storm. Lost everything down there including 500 albums: some late 60's rock, 70's & early 80's rock, some jazz and a few classical, most in pretty good shape prior to this. Couple of Original Master Recordings. No turntable at the moment. Insurance not covering.  Question: is it worth peeling/discarding album covers, buying 500 new sleeves, buying record cleaning machine (lots of time & labor), or just toss the lot?  Are they worth anything without the covers, just inner sleeves (what type are best, paper or plastic?)?  What is average value?  TIA.

tt1man

Showing 2 responses by dekay

tt1man:

The following link is to a "label saver" that I use when hosing down LP's with with either the water tap or a Waterpik (the teeth cleaning gizmo).

The link is to the "Groovmaster" on Amazon, but there are other like items offered as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Groovmaster-Label-Saver-Record-Cleaner/dp/B00NP0QAOW

I always rinse used LP's with water, before applying a brush, in the event that there are small hard particles which would otherwise scratch the vinyl if I started out with a brush or cloth.

It takes more time (the Groovmaster), but then I don't have to worry about mucking up the labels with water or my DIY cleaner.

I use this with tap water followed with the DIY cleaner (made with filtered tap water) and brushes (rinse with filtered tap water as well).

No RCM (can't stand the noise) and still get excellent results.

DeKay
I would @ a minimum remove them from the jackets/sleeves ASAP and then decide their fate later on.

If you don't they will most likely grow mold.

Not certain how to store them to dry, but perhaps someone else will come up with something feasible.

DeKay