5 way binding post connection advice

looking for advice on hooking up 12 awg wire to binding posts. My speakers have a large enough hole in the post to run the bare wire through, so I dont need a secondery contact point as with an adapter. My amplifier and suwoofer have 5 way binding posts that I will need a connector. Locking banana pins sound solid, but I am looking for advice from someone who may have tryed the options. Thank You, and enjoy your holidays, Guycom
guycom
I wouldnt recommend tinning the ends of the speaker wire..
This would color the sound possibly or change the conductivity of the cable...
Try using a good anti oxidant... Caig Pro Gold to
dip the end of the bare copper wire into and then insert it
into the hole in the binding post and tighten down the
post... This will prevent conductivity loss and promote better contact with the binding post. The benefit of non oxodized copper is longer lasting cleaner signal.
Good luck,
Joe
Custom Audio LLC
If you're not going to redo the connection often, just run the bare wire through the hole and tighten it down hard. As long as it's really tight, it won't oxidize at the actual contact point. Don't tin it; that will just make it oxidize faster. Crimped spades are the best if you want to spend some money.
Bare wire is best - the solder/tin advice is not advice I would take for a number of reasons. A crimped connection is better than a soldered one.

Also I do not believe the old wisdom regarding spades - they do not offer the most surface area contact with the post as commonly argued. The only part of the post that is conductive (this is true of most, but not all posts) is the actual post itself, not the thumb-screw part, or any other area. So you are really only coming in contact with the post on a very small area, the thin section of the spade _not_ the wide and flat section as most people believe, because the parts of the post that is touching are not conductive. Bananas, on the other hand, physically go into the post and the entire banana is typically making contact with the conductive part of the post as a result.

Therefore I have found that banans, and particularly Z-Plugs (a-la Nordost) are the best connectors, not spades. Some may disagree - that's life I guess.