5.1 under 4k?

I'm looking to upgrade my speakers and sub and hopefully stay under $4,500. I'm using a Marantz sr7007 and my room size is 10x20x12. Any suggestions on a used purchase? new?

Thanks in advance
jeffpell
Jeffpell,
Sounds like the Ascend Acoustics is a sideways move from the Polk Audio, just different and not a dramatic improvement. Did you lose a little in dynamics? The Ascend Acoustics do have a lower sensitivity or efficiency(as Polk says). Great dynamic range definitely gives a home theater that WOW factor. IMHO, considering the size of your room with the high ceiling, I'd be looking for speakers with a higher sensitivity to help increase the dynamics. Also, if you can use 2 subs, and they should be identical, you can achieve a more even bass response in the room. The subs do not need to be the same brand as the 5 speakers, but the 5 speakers should match, or even better, be identical.
Take a look at the Monitor Audio RX series. They are not difficult to drive and have one of the best respons in the low freq. The only brand in this price tag which make very good crossovers. They can give a deep and wide 3-dimensional stage like the best highend speakers can. Almost all other brands only give a 2-dimensional image cause of there crossovers.
I see a lot of advertisements for the svs ultra towers on the intranet. What are you opinions?

Worth the $3600 for the set?
I heard a few, the material they use is not the best in response. I did test many sub's in my life. Almost all sub's are too slow to get a stealth integration. Instruments and voices are very small in dimension. Many sub's make them bigger in proportion. I never heard or tested a ported sub which has full stealth integration. Ported sub's Always loose speed. Timing and speed are essential parts for a good subwoofer. I do business with someone who also does SVS. He asked me my opinion. I said: I could not sell this level to my customers. I am a perfectionist and only interested in the best.Even good never will be good enough for me!
"I could not sell this level to my customers. I am a perfectionist and only interested in the best.Even good never will be good enough for me!"

For someone who claims to be a perfectionist, you're slipping.

"I COULD NOT SELL THIS LEVEL TO MY CUSTOMERS. I AM A PERFECTIONIST AND ONLY INTERESTED IN THE BEST. EVEN GOOD NEVER WILL BE GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME!"

Now its OK.

Jeffpell,

I like Monitor Audio speakers myself. I think they would be a very nice upgrade from your Polks. What I like best about MA is their tweeters. Even though they are metal, MA does a great job in getting them to sound refined and not harsh.

Another brand you may want to look at is Definitive Technology. I wouldn't use them for music, only for theatre. They aren't too expensive and some models come with a built in powered subs. That will take a big load off your Marantz.