432 EVO

Thought I would start this thread to gauge interest in this network streamer. I have been following it for a little while now. Just wondered if anyone else had this on their radar. Any comments from current owners would be great.

https://432evo.be/
128x128falconquest

Showing 22 responses by thyname

falconquest OP724 posts
 I don't know why you're here.

Yeah, hopefully you figured it out why he is in every single Agon thread on anything he has zero interest trying. It's his/her hobby
You know what they say... there is only one way to know: try for yourself 😉
I sincerely wish you participated in ASR exclusively!! But it gets boring doesn’t it? Everyone being in full agreement about “audio bullschiit”
The only person I know who owns this is a dealer. AudioTroy or Doctor. Sorry cannot help.

If you want a truly SOTA Server / Streamer, this is it! https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisa5239-innuos-statement-2tb-media-servers
Hey @arafiq    It’s whatever Dr. Dave is selling right now. Likely terminated Innuos dealership, so.... you get the gist

@lalitk : cannot say it never crossed my mind to ask. But really I don’t want to do that before I am sure this is something I needed for my system. It’s only fair

I have not updated my system recently here under Systems. I am back to the ZENith MK3. My DAC also has a network bridge built in. So I have a couple of options. As it is.

I am really hesitant to make additional changes as everything sounds very good as it is. All the commotion, hassles buying and selling, money, and all that. I am a bit tired doing all that honestly. Sometimes we just have to sit back and enjoy what we have. Even if not permanently. I hope this makes sense 

Fairly negative review of the EVO High End on Positive Feedback site:

The reviewer had a hard time discerning any differences between the EVO and his NUC, USB out to his Schiit DAC:

"

Where's the Magic?

After making all the connections with the Sbooster power supplies, USB cable to my DAC and external hard drive (which stores over 4 TB of ripped and downloaded music), I fired it up. Using the Roon Labs app on my iPhone to control it, I could not access music on my external HD, which was disappointing. I later read on their online manual that the music could be streamed from Roon, Qobuz, Tidal, and Internet radio stations or played from its internal 2 TB hard drive, but that ripped or downloaded files needed to be moved there via a controller such as iPeng or their online portal. Additionally, when I played music on it, I noticed a slightly warmer presentation than my Intel NUC Roon Optimized Core Kit music server, but the difference wasn't quite what I imagined; it still sounded very good, but the purported 432 magic largely escaped me. "

He also mentioned this in one of FB comments:

"All this said, I had the input of a computer engineer who built his own DACs encourage me to go the route of having a simple computer server linked up to the Yggdrasil for excellent results. And he was right. Save for the tuning and DSP, the Intel NUC with a great DAC like the Yggie is quite competitive."

It also looks like it takes 20-25 minutes to rip a single CD, which I find outright outrageous

at first was using the wrong usb input

You mean the wrong OUTPUT on the EVO 432? Or the wrong USB input on his DAC?

And if the reviewer says the following on FB forum immediately after posting the review, that is all someone needs to know. Having a hard time distinguishing between USB out from a $400 NUC to DAC vs. a $5,000 server / streamer, sounds like a waste of money to me.

I have to say though, up until the actual review of the unit, the entire historical story of the 432 tuning was well written and a pleasure to read. Lots of stuff I did not know. I enjoyed that.

I did read that. But he did not specifically said this USB port was much better to his NUC than the previous USB port was using. And as he posted this on FB right after (see screenshot I posted above), that led me to believe he did not hear much difference vs. NUC USB out to DAC, period.

I am perhaps arriving to wrong conclusions, but that’s what I thought when I read these. Just me.

Maybe someone can ask him of Facebook. It's on Audio Enthusiasts Group, private group with about 57,000 members

@tomcy6 : I asked Juan that question on Positive Feedback website, under comments. It's still waiting to be approved. Hopefully it will show up there soon, and Juan can shed some light on this

No response from Juan on my comment on Positive Feedback. Maybe too early for a response since it is only been a couple of days.

He did double down on Facebook though by saying the following:

———-

I have reviewed the Lumin T2, Lampizator Komputer, Lampizator Super Komputer and more in my system. The Intel NUC matches up well…

It sounds to me like Juan was unable to hear any difference between his NUC and the 432 EVO when using the standard 440 tuning. And that’s with USB out from both to his DAC. With that method there was a tremendous difference from my Nucleus+ vs. from ZENith MK3. And we know Innuos does not do 432 tuning.

And in theory Nucleus + should be better than an off shelf NUC (fanless case, optimized for Roon). Based on this professional review I draw my conclusion that 432 EVO is not worth the money, unless of course that 432 tuning provides some magic. But then again, there was no magic with 432 tuning and regular USB port, from original review on PF. And NUC definitely has a regular USB port. So….

@antigrunge2 : your post is still here on that. Nobody can remove anything other than Admin. People can report a post to the admin, but cannot remove it. But your post is still here.

At this point, I think there is plenty of info for everyone to draw their own conclusions based on this PF review and the subsequent discussions and comments. I know I already drew my own conclusion. And as with everything, there is no substitute to trying for ourselves, and not just rely on published reviews, professional reviews or not. So here is that.

@firstgrowth :

It might help the overall community if the comments reflect someone taking time out of their day to share something and asking questions (which many do) without the undercurrent of negativity.  Otherwise folks may just move on, keep their feelings and opinions to themselves and enjoy their equipment.

You are absolutely right. Spot on. I personally appreciate people doing what you did. Thank you

Hi @falconquest : you probably haven’t got the Memo on Dow Jones. He is not here to discuss how any product brings something to the table. He is here to proclaim that NO product brings anything to the table. It’s all Snake Oil, a China anything works just as well, etc. etc. Literally ALL his posts about how something possibly do anything, everyone is being duped, a fool and his money. Typical anti Audio crowd, who detest Audiophiles with all their cheap hearts 

@jerryg123 Yes indeed. We have to pick “our battles”, cannot fight in all fronts. I have a Zennith too, and that part of my audio chain is now complete, of course until it breaks down. Or I change my mind. Whichever comes first 😂. But for now, I am all good in that “front”

I think you are confusing me with someone else @tomcy6 , I have not had the chance to try any EVO 432, neither do I intend to do so anytime soon. Sorry