40hz ratings/speaker response

Hi, as a neophyte to the technical end of this wonderful addiction, I am curious. If a speaker's frequency response capability is rated to say 40hz or above, what happens to that sound that was recorder that falls below that range? Say for instance the lower octaves on an accoustic piano, or a cello, electric bass etc? And again, what happens to a speaker, with the same rating, if the volume is "pushed" to hear and feel music that has a lower range?
Curious
joeb
Ursula,

Maybe there isn't anything below 40HZ in the music to which you are listening!

Salut, Bob P.
Bob P. brings up a very valid point about lack of very low frequency content in most recordings. The other point that i would stress would be that your room or speaker placement may be limiting actual low frequency output. Most averaged sized rooms are "reasonably solid" down to the mid 30's or so in my experience. Sean
>
According to Stereophile test CD, it all stops at 40, at normal listening level.! Thanks.
Once again, I agree with Sean. While I don't think your amp is really the problem, more power wouldn't hurt.
Perhaps the size of the listening room has something to do with the limitation of sound frequency. Assume that sound travels at 1223km/hour at sea level. Then if my conversion table is correct, sound travels at 1,114 feet/second. The sound frequency that we are debating here is 40 cycles per second. The wavelength of sound at 40 cycles per second is about 28 feet. That means that it would take a 28 foot room to fully develop sound at 40 cycles per second. I think that this is size limitation of most listening rooms. Larger rooms will develop lower frequencies of sound. If you want to fully develop sound at 35 cycles per second, you will need a 32 foot room. If you want to fully develop sound at 30 cycles per second, you will need a 37 foot room. If you want to fully develop 25 cycles per second, you will need a 45 foot room, etc., etc. In conclusion, why are we torturing ourselves trying to get speakers of lower frequencies, when we should be considering getting LARGER ROOMS. Let's go for broke, if want to develop a one cycle per second sound wave, you will need a 1114 foot room!!!