< $400 USB Cable Contenders Late 2021

Having reconfigured my digital stuff on my rack, I need to change my little USB jumper to a 0.7m-1m USB cable. Would love to buy used or demo to get more value, but open to new. Listening beforehand is an unlikely option. Some I'm considering are:
IN-AKUSTIK Reference USB
Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 
Cardas Clear HS
Curious (original not Evolved)

If I luck out on a good used deal, might be interested in:
Stealth USB
Final Touch Callisto
Curious Evolved

The cable will connect my Sonore opticalRendu to Denafrips Pontus. My priorities are full-bodied representation of instruments, transparency and natural tonality. Hyper amounts of edgy detail are not my cup of tea. FWIW I'm an electrostatic, analog guy for the most part. Cheers,

Spencer

128x128sbank

Showing 1 response by sdl4

@sbank,

I have been able to directly compare only two of the USB cables on your list. I use mostly Shunyata power cables and Cardas analog signal cables. I am now using two USB cables: Shunyata Alpha (going from Innuos Zen server to Innuos Phoenix USB reclocker) and Network Acoustics USB III (from Phoenix to PS Audio DirectStream DAC).

When I compared several USB cables 8 months ago, I thought that the Cardas Clear HS sounded rich and smooth, but this was at the cost of some transients seeming smoothed over and a loss of detail compared to the other cables in my comparison. I also heard the Stealth USB (which is on your list of possible "used" options), which was very open and transparent, but sounded a bit "edgy" at times.

My favorite cables in the comparison I did were the Shunyata Alpha and the Audience AU24 SE+. If you can find either one of those cables used, it may get you closer to your preferred cost cut-off.

If you are willing to sacrifice some detail to achieve a rich full-bodied sound that emphasizes smoothness without edginess, then the Cardas Clear HS may meet your needs.