$3500 integrated amp for Zu Definition speakers?

I've got a pair of Zu Definition mk2 speakers which are about to get nanotec drivers installed and I was hoping for recommendations of some strong integrated amp options for it.

My listening is pretty versatile--last night I spun Greenday, Miles Davis and Cat Power so I need something that can do the hard and soft stuff.

Tone, texture, dynamica aliveness and musicality are some of my strong preferences.

I've considered:
Melody AN211 (though a buddy is reporting it may be slow for rock)
Tri TRV-845 SE 845 integrated
Bel Canto SETi40 (just started reading about this).

A remote control and a tube cage are both big pluses for me and if possible I'd love a big glass SET.

Thanks in advance.
gopher

Showing 8 responses by gopher

Markpao,

I'm not sure the MKIII made sense for my needs. Given I'm already at MK2 status, I have the same tweeter they'd use and my paint is mint so the main differences are:
- newer subwoofer amps;
- additional internal bracing/deadening of the speaker; and
- Zu Event wiring

I feel for almost $3000 I could get more sound quality elsewhere then those changes--especially as I don't believe my current amp and source, though good, are up to the Definition 2 standard (Melody MK88 and Metrum Octave).
I will say my strongest leaning and what I'm saving pennies for is the AN211. I think with the right tube compliment it would likely satisfy me (I own a Melody KT88 now and love their gear).

I had the Torii 3 with a pair of Zu Soul Superfly speakers. It was a nice amp, but didn't shine until there was a high quality preamp in front of it (and much attention paid to the tubes and tuning). I didn't care for it nearly as much solo and don't think I want to that route at the moment.

The only VAC I've heard was the PA100/100 and I was pretty disappointing with it on Von Schweikert speakers. The Avatar does seem interesting though.

I think I'd rather skip CJ.

Mastersound Compact 845... damn, thats a really good suggestion. I considered it for my Superflys but forgot about it. I'll keep my eyes peeled for one.

I haven't heard Hegel gear, but I'll keep an eye out.

The Marantz units look attractive and seem well built, but I'm not sure I want to go that direction.

Thanks for the ideas so far.
Yes I run black treasure kt88s in my unit. I was contemplating trying some of the cryoed shuguangs as well but I think i want to move to SET.

LM has piqued.my curiosity a few times and it appears they are a legitimate contender. Do you know if remote control is an option? Ill look into them further.
Roscoe--my curiosity is fully piqued. Thats a solid fall back to my AN211. Do you know where any reviews are? there then some musings about the larger 845 amp used with Devore speakers and a review on their headamp, I'm coming up with little.
Awesome, Morgan!

I am really hoping my speakers sell quickly so I can try to work something out on buying one. That is what I really want right now.

Which tubes did you roll? The 12ax7, 5u4g or the weird ones I've never heard of?
Will do. A VAC Avatar SE got listed today for $2500... damn tempting, but I already gave a deposit on my AN211 and resolved to go the SET route, though I bet that thing is gorgeous.
Keithr,

Awesome! I was milimeters away from buying one but the 6moons review on heat output spooked my wife and I. I had 845 amps before and they were hot but reading: "These tubes run hot - around 300 degrees Centrigrade in fact. Even the controls get toasty after a while. What a 2A3 or 45 dissipates into the surrounding air by comparison is tepid. "

No can do! That converts to 572 degrees Fahrenheit! My oven doesn't get that hot on broil!!! Definitely not in a house with a toddler and another child in the works.