300B Tubes - Which is Best?

Can't find anything addressing this on site so, here we go! What is your favorite 300B SET tube and why? What source do you use for these little treasures? What experience has anyone had with the Sophias, sound and company who sells them? Any thoughts on Western Electrics and that strange blue glow? Maybe they aren't as vacated of gases as some others? Anything new out there? Thanks, people.
tomryan

Showing 4 responses by ed_sawyer

Keep in mind the Cary 805 uses the 300b as a driver tube not an output tube. Just an FYI for others.

-Ed
I like the WE ones. They were moving recently and setting up a new production line somewhere down south, so supply of them is hard to find at the moment - maybe sold out temporarily. They set the standard in this tube and have been doing so for 60+ years.

40,000 hours is fairly unrealistically optimistic. A lot depends on the amp, but even driven at low power, it's not likely to get 40,000 hours out of a set, despite the 'myth' about that. Guaranteed they will be pretty spent even @ half that usage. Tubes just dont' last that long, esp. power tubes. (think: that's 8 hours a day for 13-14 years straight. No....just not realistic)

They made the 'old' version up until 1989, then stopped, thinking there was no more market. They brought the line back up some years later, in the 90s... I don't think it took them 5 years just to restart the line (though they are notoriously slow, re: product developement) - most of the tooling and some of the workers are originals from the old production. There's tons of good info on this @ their site, www.westernelectric.com

-Ed
3 gain stages. No amp (save for a couple DIY ones I know of) have multiple choices for output tubes, with one acting as a mid-stage booster amp in the manner you described.

input->driver->output or driver->driver->output is how the Cary is set up, as is any 3-stage amp (in the most general terms). each stage adds gain.

-Ed