$3000 on Analog system - how to spread?

How should I spread this FIRST infusion of cash. Next one being perahaps a year out.

Ex.

Table - 50%
Arm - 15%
Cartridge - 15%
Phonostage - 20%

Or,

Phonostage - 40%
Table - 30%
Arm - 20%
Cartridge - 10%

Any sensible way to do this? What's the best upgrade path. Thanx
pawlowski6132

Showing 1 response by martykl

Jaybo suggests a used "package deal". I'd say the same is true of new "packages". Many 'tables are pre-packed with OEM Rega RB arms, while Clearaudio and VPI "pre-pack" their 'tables with their own arms. For your purposes, these packages run from $1K (Clearaudio Emotion) to app. $2.1K (Acoustic Signature Challenger) with many in between. Add a cartidge and phono section and you're out $3K.

You may also want to consider cartridge inclusive packages from Acoustic Solid (see musicalsounds.com for pricing) or Blue Note ($2.4K at needledoctor.com).

Essentially, this will leave a third to one half your budget for a cartridge and phono stage which seems to me to be a reasonable ballpark.

FWIW, on a recent hunt for similarly priced analogue (I wanted to spend less, but I didn't need the phono stage) I unded up with a discontinued Transrotor Sirius at $1.5K inclusive of a modified RB 250. A Clearaudio Wood rounded the package up to $2K.

Good luck on your search.

Marty