$27,500 for whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat???

$27,500 is a nice chunk of change, even in the audiophile world.  I think we can all agree on this.  You can get a pretty kick ass system for that amount.  I think we can all agree on this, too.  I just read something at stereophile.com that almost...almost made me choke on my triscuit.   Luckily for me, I had water ready to go, knowing how dry those things are.  $27,500 is the price for a paint upgrade, a color called cranberry pearl finish on a pair of speakers made by Wilson, the Chronosonic XVX.   Now, when we hear the name Wilson, we all know what that means.   But come on man,  $27,500 for a paint upgrade. 
shtinkydog

Showing 21 responses by glupson

I have nothing for or against them, but is there a company you like? What is so despicable about Wilson?
"I don't know if Wilson runs an in house paint shop (expect that they probably do)"
If my memory serves me well, I saw a Wilson ad some years ago. It had a story about a man who does the paint work. It was one of the ads from a few that put faces of people who actually manufacture their speakers. I remember a father and son but do not remember what their position was.
"...see the look on Mr. Wilson's face and his thoughts on that quote."
"I hope two people ask for the special paint on their speakers. That would cover it."
There is a saying on wall streets "If you owe me 1000 dollars, it’s your problem. If you owe me $7Mil dollars, it’s my problem"
That must be some old saying. These days, $ 7 000 000 probably does not warrant its own.
"The speakers in question are $329k, not $850k."
It is then less than 10% of the price. It does seem like a fair deal to me. Instead of investing $329 000 for "good enough", you spend $354 000 for "just right". Of course, if you like the color.
"Did Aston Martin make James Bonds or vice versa?"
Maybe James Bond made BMW, too. Wasn't there a movie, or two, with BMWs?
cd318,

I agree about the advertising part, but, at the end of the day, recent batch of their cars is nicely made. Every "fancy" make probably has some "prestige" built-in in the price. I was surprised that it is only $190 000. I guess they are trying to widen their market.

Going back to the original post’s topic while staying with this one, one of the nice things about their cars is it can be Q-ed (yes, James Bond, I know)/Q-commissioned. It is really a good option, albeit a pricey one. Kind of like Wilson speakers color. You do not need to get it, but it is nice to know you could.
geoffkait,

"I never get your posts, glubsong."
That surely tells more about you than about me.
andy2,

"People are so naive ... a $190K SUV from a crappy company called Aston Martin is like a base starting price."
It looks nice, probably drives nice, and they usually have good customer service. If one desires SUV, not many things to dislike here.

1971gto455ho,

I had to look it up. Now, I guess it is not a yellow one, but am curious how much was a paint job, if it is not the original paint. If it is original, they don't make them like that anymore.

1971gto455ho,

Is your name here (1971gto) in any way related to the Pontiac GTO from 1971?

"...high gloss Tremclad yellow....And many a Yum Yum would line up with thousands to purchase.... Idiots"
Just because you do not like yellow color does not mean those who like it are idiots.
"high-end" is for people who aren't really interested in anything other than being better.
Better than what?
"$27 G's isn't subjective, it's a fact."
That is kind of steep. Thankfully, Wilson will give you a paint job for only 27K.

Even that is expensive, but it really is not that much. Each one on this thread has a piece of equipment that seems obscenely expensive to regular people. $1000 amplifier is, among regular people, very expensive.
Awry? From the original post about, well not really about anything but mentioning, paint on some speakers. All the way to talking about the way those same speakers look. Not much departure from the original topic.

A friend of mine likes to say "taste is not something to be discussed".

He usually follows it with "but the lack of taste should be addressed".

(if anyone is keeping tabs, another vote for Wilson speakers not being overly pretty but redeeming quality is being able to pick the finish, even yellow one)

Some people actually care about the way things look in their room.

I recently talked to a speaker salesman who was going to some company/manufacturer's meeting. I suggested he brings the color options as customer feedback. I thought that 20%, maybe even 30%, of the base price might be fair.